Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Umbreon wip + Study Zbrush

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Shendoo polycounter lvl 13
I'm making a realistic version of the pokemon Umbreon and appeared to me some doubts, as I sculpt hair in zbrush?

please help and comment:)

referenceumbreon_alternate___commission_by_soupandbutter-d3njpiy.jpg

model in zbrush
umbreonwip01.jpg?t=1327506975

Replies

• Soap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say personally that the legs aren't long enough, Umbreon is taller and a little thinner in the chest, I'd also say the head needs to be larger.

Hope this helps, I might try a quick paint over later if I get time.
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SOAP but you could give me a hint how to sculpt the hair?
  • mr gelmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr gelmir polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know the first thing about zbrush, but you could first try to draw a sideview/frontview yourself to get the proportions right. I guess it's best to get those correct before thinking about details too much. you'll end up messing up your details if you change too much basic stuff later on in the project.
    btw: http://bit.ly/xL7KVd
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    As the others said, you should go back and work on the proportions. Best to do this at a lower subdivision. The area between his ribs and pelvis is currently too long and his legs are too short. Right now he looks like a wiener dog whereas in the concept it's much more elegant.

As well, study the anatomy of foxes, wolves and dogs, get an idea for how it should really work. The attachment of the front and back legs doesn't seem anatomically correct.
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mr Gelmir @Frump thanks for tips
    wip03-1.jpg?t=1328547858

critics please
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    The legs are too thick, in the concept they're much more slender. Also there isn't much suggestion of anatomy. You should look up some anatomy diagram of dogs and work in the basic muscle forms and landmarks. Even if it is covered in fur it will be noticable. I also feel that you jumped at detailing a bit too early. Do you have Z4R2b? I think flaying with the new fiber mesh could give you some nice results, I'm personally not a fan of the way it looks with long hairs but I think it would look fine with shorter hair.