Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted stuff

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
Here is something I came up with in my spare time.................I kid, I kid. As many of you will probably realize this is the tutorial from 3dmotive. As I don't have any background in the traditional arts I wanted to try to get the techniques down before I started on something more original.

The reason I am posting this is because doesn't feel quite right, and I can't seem to place my finger on it. I was hoping some of the hand painting pros around here could give me a bit of help.

Thank you for taking a look.

HP_Capture.jpg

ColorTexture.jpg

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think that you need to inject some more color into your textures. You have one plain color and then dark and highlights in it. But really no other colors creating nice contrasts in the texture. For example, there are so many oranges, beige color, maybe some yellows on the wood to make it pop a little more. On the stone blade, maybe some light blues and purples.. the light blues more on the edge, to make the blade look sharp. Right now it looks dull, and more blunt... you have a nice edge and spike shape on it, so with little work on your colors you can make them even more interesting. There are some other threads with some really nice hand painted work. You should take a look at them. I'll see if i can link you up with a good example, or just do a paint over of your models.

That is just my opinion tho.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    i think the highlights are not strong enough and the light/dark area values could be stronger to give it more volume and not make it look so bland , basically you need to bring out the top down lighting more. your dark areas should be colder they seem to warm to me too.

hope this helps a bit

cheers
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    I think the issue here is that you arent really pushing your values. If you look at this comparison between your sword (on the left) and theirs you'll notice that their shapes read better due to the fact that they have much clearer highlights and shadows and an overall higher range.

Adding some color variation wouldnt hurt either.

yl38l.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job on the tutorial! Really cool seeing people watch the 3d Motive video. I think like @zakhar2 you're lacking contrast. There's some other issues (wood lacking, bounce lighting, etc) but the contrast will help a ton.
  • gbencharski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other guys are right in saying the issue lies in your values. You need to push them a lot more, brighter highlights, darker shadows. Try adding some varying width, size, and depth of your dents/scratches as well as the wood grain. It will add variation and make it feel more natural. These details should all vary in value as well. That is to say, some dents should have darker values to make them feel deeper and more harsh. Same goes for the wood grain. Part of the problem for you now is all of your details are very uniform and similar in size and width.

Try adding some pock marks to the metal on your shield.

When painting your textures always push your lights and darks further than what feels natural. As you paint you will find they tend to become more neutral as a natural part of the painting process.

Best of luck!

G
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Looking at the texture I wouldn´t say it´s that much different from the tutorial. Sure, I agree with the comments above about adding highlights, etc, but right now you just need to set self-illumination to 100% to get the same flat colors as in the tutorial. You can´t really compare those two with these different settings. Fix the settings and it will look a lot better and it will be easier to work with during texturing - trust me.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the replies everyone!

@ghost-d - Wow that made a huge difference, thanks for pointing that out about self-illumination.

@gbencharski - I will try to keep that in mind about pushing the values more then I would think normally, thanks.

@jeffro - Thanks, while not all that impressive yet my hand painting skills wouldn't be where they are without the video.

@zakhar2 - Thanks for the comparison, I plan to go back over it this afternoon and push the highlights more and deepen the shadows.

@Next - That seems to be the consensus :) I plan to tweak them.

@glottis8 - As I go over the crits posted here I will try to inject a bit more color into my materials. I have been reading many of the hand painted posts here as well as many of the tuts that are posted here :) Unfortunately I don't learn very well from reading, I have to create it and make the mistake before I learn :(

Again thank you! I am hoping to have an update later this afternoon.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I reworked the texture and I will like to get some input on the revision. I tried to take in everyone's critques and apply them to the best of my ability. I really appreciate all the comments I got earlier I think they really helped.

HP_Capture2%20%281%29.jpg

HP_Capture2%20%282%29.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You're using too short of strokes to paint. It makes your textures look a bit jerky. Try to use more confident strokes. Try maybe painting a concept of a weapon like the video has. Doing concepts helps me get more confident with the tablet.

The golds are too yellow.

I think the worn marks in the metal (pot marks) are a bit too dark on the silver sword part.

Few tweaks but great practice. Looking forward to seeing you start something all your own next.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool, maybe add some highlights to the edge of the blade as right now its looking a bit muted.

Careful with the scratches on the shield, unfortunately the symmetry is sticking out quite a bit.

Keep going mate.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Very good, fellow, you're on the track. Don't forget to apply a smart sharpen on your textures when you are done. This makes a huge difference.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have decided my next project, it is going to be this concept by Colin Gellar, more of his artwork can be found here.

I have already decided one some of the materials I want use in the scene, and I have plans to add some props around the building. I am not very experienced with environments, as I have only done one prior to this, so there is a lot I have to learn.

Things to learn:

-Proper texture space management (trying to figure out what things I can put on the same texture sheet, and proper size textures for a scene like this)
    -Tiling textures (I am kind of familiar with this)
    -Foliage (I haven't done more than grass planes)
    -Water
    -Proper lighting for an environment
    -And a proper background (ie Sky, in this case)

After I do my block out I plan to start with the small props (barrels, small wagon, the fences) Any help and crits you can provide along the way will be great!

Mill.jpg
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update on the environment?