Home Technical Talk

morphing a body model over another model

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , Is it possible in 3dsmax to morph the shape of a model over another model with some degree of control on the vertices that get morphed to go over the secondary model even if the secondary model is a different one and doesn't share the same vertex numbers and polygon faces?
I not mean it for an animation but to fix and change the shape from one model to another ...

I tried morpher but it doesnt take the other model when I try to select it ....

If so how ? thanks for any answer :) ...

Replies

• Octo
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    but this is a plugin that needs to be bought and is not even released yet withsuch a feature ...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok I managed to make it morph but it turns into a messy ... Like that...

38364806.jpg

Now to be able to select the model I added some vertices to the reference so to have the same number of vertices but the result then when I use the slider is the mess ....
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    . morphing wont work unless vertex order matches . you need to project vortex positions onto the target mesh which is what wrapit is for.

You could try it in zbrush but it'll be a ballache, just buy wrapit.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    nah importing and reexporting I guess woudl breack the vertex order again ...

How about the new function of the conform tools in 3dsmax 2012? I have max 2011 tough ....

my problem is that the seams in the junction , need to be perfect matched , meaning that the vertices need to be in the exact same position of the target....

Can I collect the x y z and rotation of the vertices under subpoly mode on the reference and transfer this data info to the main to be morphed model?

Then I coudl manually morph with lattices the rest of the body far from the seam junctions ...

btw is possible to apply the lattice deformer on vertices in mirror position?

like if I select the right arm vertices and then the same vertices on the other arm and apply a lattice modifier , is there anyway I can apply the same lattice to the other vertices so that the morphings I do with the right arm get also on the left arm but mirrored?

Just to make the same exact variations when working on different symmetrical parts of the body ...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Import and re-export doesn't affect vertex order unless you use the wrong preset on your obj exporter.

There are tools in graphite that will do the job but again - ballache.

for 35 dollars wrapit really is a no brainer. id happily have paid a couple of hundred for it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    sorry I edidted the post befoure seeing your answer...

as for the wrapit , I dunno , I watched the video and seems a pretty long proces where I have to pick manually vertices and place vertices on the other model and they speed up the video so to make it seem fast but seems not like so ...
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    May want to check this out. It's free, so no harm really. You'll need to play around to get the hang of it.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo

It's kinda like wrapit, but of course not as awesome and it's a little glitchy.
    Check out the vids too.

Otherwise, turn on vertex snaps and put some music on to pass the time....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    the shrink to the reference model is probably the usefull part wich sems interesting , I will give a try ... but I read is for max 2008 and 2009 , woudl work with 2011?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Man I just tried it .... this is AWESOME!!!!! works like acharm , one click morphing over the other model .... GREAT ! ... the only problem is that it moprhed the whole model and not just the selected vertices I guess the videos posted there are a bit old couse the interface too looks a bit different , but may be I need to play with it somemore befoure ....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm almost sure it is possible to morph only selected verts with max-retopo... I suggest checking some options again if needed :)