Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hagrid's Hut

Replies

• Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I modeled the grass using the billboard method recommended but it really make my laptop chug when I try to place all the grass in the scene. I'm looking for a way to get a render shot of one grass shrub I modeled, I'm looking into Yafray fro rendering at the moment but it is kinda confusing. Why doesn't Wings3d have a renderer within it?
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    because wings3d is absolutley terrible?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I installed Blender so I'm trying to learn that. Wings3d actually has a nice easy interface but the software itself really lags with relatively lowpoly models. Also not having a Render engine sucks too. Well on to learning another new modeling program.:\
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is UDK available for Ubuntu? If so then that may be an option. Although I never thought of making the actual model in UDK but I guess it's not a bad idea.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my latest shrub model using the billboard method which was reccomended.
    GrassShrub_01.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any comments on the shrub? Or is it so good everyone is speechless : D (jk)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    UDK is a game engine..you don't make models in there ^_^;
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a gradiant. Going for a super stylized look or do you intend to add somekind of texture to it?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course I'm going to add textures but that is later, after all the modeling is finished.:)
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    I'm Trying to get comfortable with Blender at the moment before I go any further. Blender is much more complex than Maya but it's free and I'm broke.:)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    If you're currently a student you an get pretty much any autodesk software for free I believe.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked on the Autodesk Official site but they only have a 30 day trial.
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Sign up for the Autodesk education community and you can get a full student license.

http://students.autodesk.com/
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm getting the hang of Blender pretty well. I'm now just setting up my lights in the scene to get a good render. I'm also trying to find out how to separate the objects in my scene that I imported to Blender.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downloaded 3dsmax from that site. Thanks for the link by the way. Does anyone know of a good set of tutorials for beginners?
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you switching between all these software packages? You started in Maya, then Wings3D, then Blender, now 3DS Max.... Why? You won't find some program that magically makes you awesome... If you know Maya, just stick with Maya. You aren't going to do anything but confuse yourself even more.

Also, you can just google for tutorials, you shouldn't have to ask for other people to do that for you. Anyways... 3DMotive just released an intro to 3ds max video, I guess you could start there if you insist on switching to max.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all started with my system crashing and I was forced to use Linux for a while. The Maya version I had did not support Linux so I switched to Wigs3d. I soon found that Wings3d is very limited and does not have a rendering engine without having to program the software a lot. I found a legal version of Vista and installed it on my laptop recently so now I'm running Windows.

I'm switching between software because I was told that 3dsMax is the best software to use for game art. All the game developers around here use it unless they have their own custom software.
    Blender is not only free but it has Modeling, Sculpting and Video Editing all in one software package, it really is competing with Autodesk and now their controls are much easier to use. The menu system takes time to learn but so does any software. Blender is a very nice alternative to purchasing Zbrush, After Effects and Maya.

I asked if someone have a tutorial they would like to suggest because that is what this forum is for "helping each other" we all know there is BS tutorials out there and a good suggestion can prevent hours of time doing self research.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is true that most studios use 3DS Max, but Maya isn't far behind. And if you had your training in Maya, I would strongly recommend you stick with that. At this point I don't even think you should be concerning yourself with sculpting or video editing. Just model a lot of stuff and learn the basics. Move up to Zbrush once you have a good handle on modeling. For games, video editing is mostly irrelevant.

"Helping" is different from hand holding, which is what it seems you are after. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, but it's my opinion that you should try to help yourself before asking for help from others. Again, I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but most of your posts are more about asking for help rather than making art, and a lot of the questions you are asking could have been solved by a google search.

It's true that not all tutorials out there are good, but start with the reputable places like 3DMotive, Eat3D, etc. and fill in the gaps as necessary.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been trying to do everything by myself for years. I have a blog full of failed projects I did on my own. It hasn't worked out to well to be honest.

There is so much out there that others may know and all I'm trying to do is pick other artists brains to see what is expected as a professional in the game art community and to learn some effective tips and tricks along the way.
    To be honest it appears that there is no entry level positions that except entry level art. Every development company wants professional level work for their "entry level positions". In order for anybody to land a job without knowing anybody, their art must be flawless.
    I don't think this is fair but I really do have a passion for modeling and I'm just trying to get to that level to get recognized because it is my dream to get paid to model a cool scene for a game or movie.

I fell that asking if someone knows of a good tutorial is not asking for someone to "hold my hand". Sometimes those who have landed jobs as artist forget what it was like trying to get there. I don't mean to be harsh either but that's how I feel.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also when I finally do ask a question on here it's usually after searching the web all day for the answer.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a question I have been trying to find an answer for all day. It sure would help if anybody can tell me how to separate a .obj scene in 3dsmax. I've been searching the web all day to find this out with no luck:(
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Convert to editable poly > select by element > select object > detach
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tico Taco:)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Animesh, a tip i got and still get til today is "finish your stuff off". hopefully you'll do better then me. Hahaha.

But otherwise, i think you are making really really slow progress. And that's really great, cause you probebly re-do a couple of things and learn more. Keep on going with this, i really want to see it finished!
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm getting ready to start modelling the crates on the right side of the scene. At the moment I'm looking for some good reference material. Does anyone know of a good wooden crate reference I can use?
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "But otherwise, i think you are making really really slow progress. And that's really great, cause you probebly re-do a couple of things and learn more. Keep on going with this, i really want to see it finished!"

Slow and steady wins the racer right?" JK your absolutely right I will try to make faster progress.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wooden+crate

In all seriousness though, you need to become a bit more self-reliant. Much of 3D is problem solving. Along the way you will make mistakes, but it is through doing something wrong that you learn how to do things right. Spend time identifying what aspects you are having trouble with and do some of your own research into figuring it out. Responses are only a small sliver of the wealth of information available to you. If you need to learn the basics, shell out some cash for a few of the Eat3d videos.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rofl that was funny and unexpected. What a cool site:poly115:

I guess what I meant was if anybody had any favorite crate images they like or may have lying around. Google images are so generic it can take a while to find the perfect reference. Many times I have caught myself spending hours just searching for that perfect reference.:)

Already started to make the crate. I will be posting it soon.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the first crate. This is just the model, I know it really needs a normal map but that is later. I'm not finished modeling it but here is a progress preview anyway.
    cratePerspPrev_01.png
    crateFrontPrev_01.png
    MES4737.jpg
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    A wireframe shot would be nice, because the lock seams a little bit highpoly for such a small object of the crate (you won't really see it in your composition... i think ^^).
    Looks a bit blocky, but as you said it's still WIP, so i think this will change.

I know it's not conceirning the crate, but i also went to a terrible university... in two years till bachelor degree we had about 3-4 months learning 3ds max (the rest was all about after effects, rendering, some photoshop stuff (not for games lol)).

So i'm fuckin glad i found this forum named polycount ;D
    In about 1 month i learned more from this forum than in two years at school...
    In my opinion, there is no better place to learn game dev in terms of art, than this forum!

Keep it up!
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure I can get a wireframe render for ya.

"So i'm fuckin glad i found this forum named polycount ;D
    In about 1 month i learned more from this forum than in two years at school...
    In my opinion, there is no better place to learn game dev in terms of art, than this forum!"

Yeah, I've learned more from Youtube, Digital Tutors and Polycount than I did from the college I went to. The classes were mostly focused on animation and I was half way through the program when I discovered my passion for modeling. Also there was a huge budget cut and half the teachers left or were laid off. Now there is a skeleton crew of teachers that only teach the basics classes.

I wish I would have just used the money I spent for classes and bought a whole library of tutorials. Although even some of the best tuts I've seen are free.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some wireframe shots. I also added some bevels on the edges so It's not so blocky.

cratePerspWireFrame_01.pngcrateFrontWireFrame_01.pngcrateLock_Wireframe_01.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the 2nd box.:)

crate_02_Wire_Front_01.pngcrate_02_Wire_Persp_01.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the most recent scene render.

blockedOutscene_15.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably start working on the trees and grass next.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will post scene with grass soon : D
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    OH MAN OH MAN I AM SO FUCKING PUMPED GIMME MOAR UPDATES MAN
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, ya probably dont need to show every single update to your scene.

And just like 3dcaspar, this forum has taught me alot. just look at other threads and see what they are saying on other ppl's work.

but, for that crate. is that your highpoly version? its really high if that is going to be your lowpoly. for low poly you dont need to bevel edges.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I post updates on my scene to show that I haven't given up on the project and that I am working on it everyday. I also like to give somebody who knows better a chance to let me know I made a mistake before I go so far that I could no longer fix the mistake.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess you can say that's my high poly version. I have a couple more steps to go and a couple more models to build for the scene before I start using normal maps to make the high poly models low poly.
    That's when the real learning takes place because that is by far the most challenging for me and my PC. :polytwitch:
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animesh wrote: »
    Will post scene with grass soon : D

I think this is what DudeinCA is refferring to. You don't have to post every thought that goes through your head. It's not just about you and your thread, it's sort of bad etiquette in general. Every time you post, your thread is bumped to the top, and the person at the bottom of the page is bumped to the second page. People usually don't get comments or critiques on their threads once they fall off the first page.

Not only that, but most of your posts are not art. Instead of "Will post scene with grass soon : D" you should have waited until you were actually ready to post the scene, and then shown it.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrassSceneTest.png

Iplaced some billboard grass into the scene but it appears to have a black shadow wherever it is placed. I tried messing around with the settings but nothing has changed. I've been searching online to see if anybody else has had this problem but havn't seen anybody post anything similar. I'm using Maya 2011 for this scene. Any help would be very much appreciated :thumbup:
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrassSceneSideTest.png

Here is a side shot of the same scene. I have lights all over the place. I really don't think the shadows are coming from faulty lighting. I will post a shot of just the grass on the ground as soon as it's done rendering:poly136:
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrassGroundTest.pngSingleGrassGroundTest.png

Here are some grass examples. Any suggestions are welcome :)
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a closer view.

SingleGrassGroundTest_02.png
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting my progress does not make this a troll thread. Neither is asking for advice or help.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Looks like you are using max? It's probably since the default viewport is nitrous? Somewheres in the setting you can change that. Or are these renders? There isn't much of a point in rendering low poly assets if they are going to end up in a game engine anyway. If its a render, you must have some sort of shadows option checked.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    your grass looks plain wrong. turn down off that AO or whatever it is in your viewport. your terrain grass texture looks like a 256x256 texture spanning the entire ground.

the lock on your chest looks more high poly than the entire rest of the chest. also its using like 20 sided cylinders, but only 4 edge loops defining the arch of it.

are you subdividing that box or something? is it meant to be a high poly? if not then lower the poly count on it.

i guess the main thing, is this supposed to be for game or film?