Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: William, Saviour of Mercia

Cybersam
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Cybersam polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

decided to get my workflow into polycount and get some more crit :):).

Lets roll. I study at the University of Hertfordshire and I have been given a brief to make a mock video game trailer. The fist step was to get a team together and come up with an idea. So I got the group, here is the game pitch:

(note, if you're not interested in the idea, dw, skip and go down to my character work) 12th century, England, there was once William, The saviour of Mercia who had earned respect of the country and much of its wealth. The King at the time was jealous of the William so he banished William from the country. William headed north where he was met by a witch. He asked for revenge in exchange for a vial his blood. The Witch agreed and gave him power. William then went to neighbouring counties to call on his friends and brothers in arms to kill the king. William marched to the kings’ castle, killed the king and took his crown. A Few days later, the Witch returns with an Army of clones of William. He then called upon his friends once more to help him vanquish this threat. But many were too weak to fight. During the Battle William faces the witch herself. She tried to control him with the power she gave him, but William released himself from the witches control and defeated her army. The Witch, with her last ounce of her strength fled the battle, vowing her return.

I'm not too bothered about crit on our idea, my role in the project is lead character artist where we have to complete 2-4 Characters. Here is my first.

WILLIAM! SAVIOUR OF MERCIA!!!

Character Reference:

Making the designs for the Main Character William was a fascinating journey for me. The most difficult and enjoyable part of the experience was looking and learning about the style of clothing and Armour that was used during the 12th and 13th century. I read all kinds of different books and spoke to loads of different people and reffered to lots of different websites. Books that I read included a lot of the osprey publications (which produce books on information on all kinds of aspects of battle and conflict, from Ancient world to Modern Warfare) English Medieval Knight 1200-1300, Knight Templar 1120-1312, English Medieval Knight 1300-1400 and Knight: Noble Warrior of England 1200-1600. The people I spoke to were from a more educated Background in there areas. Terry Sandell, who is my fencing coach, had extensive knowledge on medieval clothing, styles of sword combat, etc. I also came into contact with a “LARP” group (Live Action Role-Play) who mainly practiced with Medieval style clothing, weapons and armour. After I gathered all my relevant materials. I discovered that plate armour wasn’t around until about 200 years later on in history. At the time, Knights, Lords and Noblemen would wear Underjackets (to protect against the chainmail) An almost fullbody Chainmail and then an almost fullbody fabric that went over the top of it. The fabric was used to show the colours of the knight (i.e. who that knight fought for) so trying to choose the colours for our character was a challenge in itself, to decide whether to make up our own symbol or use one from the past.

char_ref1.jpg

char_ref2.jpg

Here are my scribbles and concepts:

char_con1a.jpg

char_con2.jpg

char_con3.jpg

char_con5.jpg

will_char_scrib01.jpg

This here is a plasticine (I like to call professional play-doh) Model I made:
model01.jpg

This was the retopology of the character sculpt below, im almost done unwrapping, next well come the texturing and baking
william_gray02.jpg

Here's my current character sculpt
william_render02.jpg

william_render03.jpg

Replies

• Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • matt luxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matt luxton polycounter lvl 12
    some great sketches, but from the side view i feel like his facial features have been squished inwards a bit to much
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey matt, thanks for the crit :)
    When you say from the side, its squashed inwards... could you draw a diagram?? Lol thanks.
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my current progress with the face. I'm almost finish with what I think needs, but I need crit before I can bake to the retopology.

post-1893-1327754321.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    There are a LOT of small-mid frequency shapes missing here. It's a good base, everything's in about the right place proportionally, but it's definitely not done. You've got these big bland rounded off shapes everywhere. Pay special attention to the eyes, the nose, the surfaces around the lips, the brows, the ears -- lay plausible muscular and fatty forms over the basic shapes you have now. No pores or hairs or usely detail, just strong shapes.

Google image search for 'tired man' shows a lot of the more subtle planes that are missing from your model. b1ll's work should be an inspiration. In terms of execution, not stylization.

Also, as for that canvasy shirt, will that bake well at all at whatever res you're going for?
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joseph, good crit, really helpful, Yeh I've already been told to model the chainmail and project, that'll be interesting to see how that turns out :). I'm looking up the work of the divisionists and the works during the Italian renaissance for reference on the shapes of the head. But I feel like im close :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Here's the drawover you requested. Hopefully this isnt too vague -- the basic idea is take close attention to your ref, and focus on a more intricate division of forms/planes now that you have the base down. Personality comes from the little, complicated elements of the face. Try and get in there with a flatten brush of some sort (like mpolish) and chisel out some better shapes, and then blend and smooth and mass those in.

link
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    william_render07.jpg?w=1024&h=615

Thanks so much for that Crit Joseph, really came in handy. Here's my current progress, in temrs of dealing with those shapes you were talking about. I need to clean up the eyes a bit now and do one more thing to the lips. But I want this completely finished by Sunday because I want to get on with the rest of my character models :P.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    top eyelids should be tad smaller, and just above it add some fat to fill out the concave area next to the nose bridge. flesh the glabella and brow bone for strong look.
    nostrils seem abit thick and the septum doesnt seem to hang low enough.

its coming along nicely !
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Crit Squir, Half that stuff is changeable in Low-Poly. But I MUST finish this Sunday :)!!!!

Btw when you say Nostirls, do you mean the Nasal Wings??
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    plenty of time bro, sacrifice your friday night out! and yuhp nasal wings. jus tad tho.
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    william_render08.jpg?w=1024&h=620

Here's my progress, I'm finished the face now. I'm gonna use the rest of my time on the body. DON'T need crit on the hair. It's just there to fill in the space :).
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    william_render09.jpg?w=1024&h=616

Thought I would also consult the god's while at this stage :)
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Go go go, give more updates : )
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lolz I'd like to, but I have a dissertation submission at University in a few weeks. I'm starting to spend my hours on that now :/. However, I do take out the cheeky 30 minutes to ply about with the rest of the body. At the gloves trying to make them look more leather and less rubber :)
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Sacrifice sleep! : ) Hahaha, good luck m8!
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!! Me and my team are back from the tyranny of our dissertations. We are finishing up our character models and having them rigged and skinned as we speak. HOWEVER! we are having issues with seams in the UDK engine. Can anyone help us with eliminating Normal map seams for our character models? They're doing our fecking head in!! We've got the diffuse and specular sorted fine, it's just the normal seams that are fucking with the final result. Thanks guys :).

willwife_normals.jpg?w=620&h=620

render03.jpg?w=620&h=465

render02.jpg?w=620&h=465

render01.jpg?w=620&h=465
  • amadarien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadarien polycounter lvl 8
    I love that you used Andrew Loomis work for reference. Loomis is an incredible illustrator.
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell me about it, the man is a Guru at life drawing AND teaching it. Need some techy help with these seams guys!! There's no solid Online tutorials or material that I can see that solves this issue!!!!
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know much about 3d - but as for 2d in photoshop, draw with a hard or harder round brush you will get a more realistic feel
  • Randall173
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IIIIIIMA BACK BOOOOYS!!! Lol yeah myself and my team have finished up this year and the project has been submitted. Now remember this project was rendered in-game and im not gonna lie, the final rendered product was a liiiiittle bit cack :S. I was responsible for making 2 characters and one environment. Here Are some renders of the project including our characters and environments. I'll give you in game stills but not the final film.. well not yet because I am going to take all the project files and render it all again myself. BUT for now, here's the assets.

580075_10151009830763274_2103921636_n.jpg

564371_10151009807538274_524268273_12010007_145272711_n.jpg

11772_10151009807138274_1862288642_n.jpg