Home Technical Talk

Maya 2011 and GTX 560 Ti issues

Hi Guys,
I've just installed a new graphics card, Asus GTX 560 Ti, to replace my old trusty 8800GTS. Instead of absolute joy when firing up maya I was greeted with some display issues. The main issue being that marking menus are displayed with a crop of the top left border of the screen as a background instead of nicely overlaid on you workspace...

I've read about nvidia 4xx 5xx having some opengl issues due to the drivers/hardware bug. At the same time some people seems to be claiming that their cards are working great.

I though I'd ask you guys...anybody running maya sucessfully with a gtx 560 Ti here?

My rig:

Asus rampage 2 gene
12Gb ram
Intel core i7

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I'm running maya successfully with a 560 ti 2011 and then 2012. There have only been a few issues very very rarely.

Only things I've experienced was uv editor popping (shells moving and then not moving and then self collapsing). I think 2x around the time of the rage driver update.

Geo tearing similar to screen tearing. With either really large shapes or geo that stacks over another. Generally after I've been working in maya for multiple hours and a reboot of the program generally fixes it, if not a reboot of the machine.

Viewport slowdown -only- when my history on an object gets over a few hundred instructions, once I clear that it speeds up, so I doubt thats a gfx issue, but I can't say for sure. Regularly occurs and reproducible under those circumstances.
  • sfjohansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...ahh there we go.. that sort of good news... Thanks!

So it might be worth messing around more to try to get it to work..

uhh... I'm really annoyed by this since I have come to trust nvida products and for once I bought without doing too much research... :(

Anybody else running a 560 succesfully with maya?
  • sfjohansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhh..still no luck... here is a screen grab of what happens... :(

This is really driving me crazy, I would really appreciate your help!

mm347k.jpg

Does the image reveal any clues..any suggestions???
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turn off aero....
  • sfjohansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to try turning off aero...still no luck.. :(
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    download drivers directly from nvidia's website
    don't use display spanning (that thing that combines your desktop across monitors)
  • sfjohansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the latest drivers, also tried older drivers without success...

I'm only using one monitor...

Something I notices is that if I uninstall nvidias drivers and run maya I get the same issue.. :s
  • sfjohansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got this working... =D

So thought I'd post my solution here if anybody else would have a similar problem..

After trying to reinstall the nvidia drivers multiple times and using different "driver cleaner" software I simply tried ripping out the new card and putting back my old card.
    This didn't solve the problem either as my earlier perfectly functioning card was now suffering from the same issue.

What solved the problem was to force an windows "upgrade" on my windows 7 installation. If you go into the properties for the windows setup.exe on the installation disk you can set it to run in windows vista compatibility mode. When doing this you can trick it to "upgrade" to your existing version, this will keep your software while writing over windows system files.

Well that was it...if anybody has a similar problem...I hope this helps..cheers!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I upgraded to sp2 and today, and so far I've yet to hit the slowdown mark from a dense history yet and the geo tearing doesn't seem to be happenig.

Interactive split tool is also working mo bettah as well.