Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Rock Lobber

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sakechi polycounter lvl 7
i am going to trying to finish by the next two weeks.

lobber_001.jpg

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    do you want to make that thing so you can animate it later on, or is it just for decoation?
    because right now it doesn't make much sense how the rope gets spinned around that log, with such a long lever you could anly do like 3/4 of a turn and thats about it. Maybe you should add a joint there, so you can turn it by 90°, but then the small shield with the orc decoration would have to be removed or moved to the inside of the lever.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx neox! for pointing that. i believe the handle can swing around in order to complete the 360 degree turn. that would make it possible, so the rope twist around the log like in the concept.

here a reference:

m1183927_99110209123_O&GGoblinRockLobberMain_445x319.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still I can't realy believe that with the amount of tension that would be going on here it wouldn't fling out of control while flipping it to the other side when it's on the turning point and you can't realy apply any force on that mechanism... then again logic is something that isn't needed in game props as long as it looks totally awesome! :D
    Looking forward to this.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just stick a nice chunky ratchet mechanism with a release catch in there. That's how it'd be built in the real world :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep... that's a weird smashup of a catapult and a trebuchet, pretty much what you would expect from orcs, lol. They pretty much took the worst pieces of each design, but it could look pretty bad ass...

Catapults don't use weights, and trebuchets have slings not buckets, thats where most of its power comes from. Trebuchets are more powerful, more durable, more accurate and easier to reload. Also a trebuchet wouldn't stop the weight from swinging down and backwards, that would mess up the fluid whip crack motion you need.

For the winding mechanism you would want a ratchet, making it easier to save your progress in turns without having to try and hold the tension while you flip the lever. A ratchet would hold the tension and release it easily just by pulling back the locking lever. It's still pretty far from plausible but it might help to add one.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Heck, this catapult won't do anything at all because the projectile weighs as much as the counterweight, and the counterweight is on the shortest arm.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is logical to this asset. Warhammer logical, better yet Orc logical!!! :poly142:

thank you mark for that image. It that may work to resolve the issue.

here are some more reference images.

trebuchet-400x491.jpg

catapultmangonelanimated.gif

treb_animated_1.gif

thanx again for your comments. i will those thoughts in my mind when i model it out.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP_000

here is an update i worked on last nite before i get a chance of read your comments.

this was a color study on the orginal concept done by bioware-mythic.

lobber_002.jpg

WIP
    pc.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP_001

I added a new part so that there is more logical to the asset.

Wip_001.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looking not-functional is part of the Orc design. They do have psychic powers that work with the waaagh, so that things that shouldn't work do work, because they believe it will. Which is also why they paint their vehicles and spaceships red. Cause it goes faster. And it does, when flown/driven by Orcs.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was i thinking too. but i was not sure if that was only in the case of 40K. i know the Waagh!! power is in embody in their shaman. in any case, i am going to finish it up in design of concept and then see if it needs the extra part.

thanx Bigjohn for commment.

keep them coming.

m1640914a_99060209209_Wurzag01_873x627.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted a sample of my Zbrush models i use to crate my final assets. let me know what u think.

Wip_002.jpg

Wip_003.jpg

Wip_004.jpg
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reguarding on how logical the whole thing is I found something very interesting in the Warhammer 40k wiki. It's about the 40k universe, but I'm sure this also applies to the fantasy orks. :D
    ...Ork machines could not work, requiring some psychic cause to justify their often devastating effect. Furthermore, Mechanicus Genetor Lukas Anzion has noted that many Ork-built weapons will not function at all unless wielded by an Orkoid...
    Warhammer 40k Wiki link

On topic: I like the sculpting but I have the feeling that the scratches on the 'shield' thingys are too evenly spread.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah the thing with ork/orcs in warhammer is that the majority of their stuff works because they want it to, or because they think it will.

in warhammer40k it's a psychic projection
    in warhammer fantasy it's a mystical effect

in both cases it's caused by greenskins grouping up, and their psychic/magical energies becoming focused... sort of. like, if a box full of nails just happened to "look" like a gun, and an ork mistook it for one, it might actually end up firing nails. in gorkamorka (great game) red vehicals go faster... because red makes it go faster!

a similar principal is applied here, the orc thinks it'll work, so it will... but it might backfire at some point... at which point it's the goblins fault.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey polycount.

still working on wooden metal but i need a break. i went ahead, i tried dynamesh to make my dwarf head. check it! let me know what you think...

Wip_005.jpg

Dwarf_head_maps.jpg
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycount!!! this a update of my rock lobber. let me know what u think.

Rock_lobber_002.jpg

Rock_lobber_003.jpg

Rock_lobber_004.jpg

Rock_lobber_005.jpg