Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skuther: Airship Village [Cry3]

Replies

• Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    This is really impressive in terms of planning, design and also execution. Looking forward to more updates!
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    You are making some great progress on this rather quickly! I look forward to the end product.
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neolight polycounter lvl 10
    A huge thanks to the crits and encouragement so far. I know of some of you and it's very motivating to see that you left a message ;)

GDC is coming up next week and I've got midterms to take care of so it is Time to get'er dun!

Like a typical college student I'll be working throughout the night this weekend. Here's the most recent turn around with gestural changes and texture / poly cleanup. You can check out wires on the right hand side.

housewip3.jpg

There will be some more diffuse work to screw around with before i'm satisfied with this setpiece. Then it's on to the other elements in the scene... Porbably the rocks and decals.
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the art style and generalcconcept and the strength of it. started an environment assignment at college myself last week using the gamebryo engine. this has inspired me as im heading down the same artistic style route :) good job so far
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update with small props + some other fixes and blocked in airships.

wip14.jpg

texture refinements, rock decals, and finished airships are on the menu for today. After this I need to wrap up and probably move on to a realistic scene (probably sci-fi interior)
  • Jhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is turning out so awesome. I was wondering what are you using to generate your normals ?
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    This last update is fantastic!
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue wrote: »
    This last update is fantastic!

Xnormal
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along nicely!

I do think that the shield stuck on the middle of the roof looks way out of place and slapped on though. took me a couple seconds to figure out what it was too. "Is that a steak. . .pinned to the roof?" :P
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Quite nice Neolight.

Adding a rim light to your scene may help pop out details. In you're concept work it really helped sharpen the image. I feel like your color pallet was a bit more vibrant and varied in the concept as well, adding more reds and yellows to your sky would really help the background feel less flat.

Keep it up man, looking good. :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    looking really nice. I love that you made something stylized in cryengine which is over used with super realistic scenes. Good work.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    man this is really looking epic. I don't know if your thinking about it yet, but have you been playing with specular maps to differ between the surface materials?-- donno if that's going against your over-all aesthetic.. also, I noticed in your texture flats that you might need to pop some edges into the wood and metals-- I donno.. probably just my personal taste-- this is your piece.. but just a suggestion.. great stuff dude :) will be looking forward to the final
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just landed in San Fransisco to attend GDC. Can't wait to meet some of you there! This next iteration is getting pretty close to final. Further edits to this project will come later this month, but for now I've gotta focus down on school work, an indie game project, and sending out applications.

Thanks for the help everyone. This was a super fun project.

skuther___cryengine_3_by_neolight-d4rvnsw.jpg

Sean > Thanks allot for dropping by! Good point about the rim light. I'm very keen on Cryengine's ligthing techniques but i'm sure I'll manage to get that in. I really want to bring that red + color variation into the image...

Pseudobug > I did a paintover a few days ago where I knocked shingles off of the roof and beat it up. The shield was a remnant of that polish idea to indicate that they were using shields to to fix roof damage. I've now taken the shield out... I dont want anyone to confuse that with a steak LOL

Paro > Thanks dude

Jmiles > I think my spec maps probably have a long way to go. One of the things i'm going to do when I get some time back is screw around with spec painting in this project and see what kinds of stuff I can do. As of right now they are all pretty straight forward, and dark.

I used to have a bad habbit of highlighting the edges of pretty much everything in my work and paintings, so I am deliberately breaking that right now.

Stay tuned for later on, but for now enjoy this pretty much near final image. Thanks for the help everyone!
  • Nilix
  • Neolight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VIDEO FLYTHROUGH COMING SOON

thanks Nilix
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking forward to the flythrough :) im loving the atmosphere of this piece