Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Blade

Just finished this piece for my portfolio. 1,064 tris and 1x512 Diffuse. It is based on a warhammer online concept. Any feedback is welcome.

Render01.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of people do this, and yours turn out well. Larger pics, angles. Tough to tell, but watch out for solid black (0,0,0)
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great. Not too sure about the checkered part though. What is that part supposed to be?
  • scottjrobertson
    Offline / Send Message
    scottjrobertson polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great. Not too sure about the checkered part though. What is that part supposed to be?

Yeah I'm loving the work overall, but the checkered part looks out of place.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    like it too.. looks like an orc blade from
    warhammer 40k universe, whats your ref ?
  • JGcount
    Its cool and all, but the lack of AO on some parts are popping out for me. Especially the red metal parts attached to the back of the blade itself seem to have no shadowing effect on the blade. This also seems to be the case with the red skull on the top of the hilt.

Also, I would try and get some more colour into the shadows themselves instead of just going darker. Warhammer, to me, is a very stylized universe afterall.

But nice job I must say
  • CCantu
    cholden: The model is shown with flat 100% lighting. So is solid black always bad to use, even in some deep recessed areas such as the eyesockets of the skull? Or are you referring to the need to have some color in the shadows? I included black just for the sake of having a full range of values.

JGcount: After looking at it more, yeah, I think I do need more AO especially under the red metal parts. The ref image has a little but I think I could use more than I have. I need to play with shadow color some to see what I can come up with.

Here is the reference image I used:

Concept.jpg