Home General Discussion

Ubisoft's Revolutionary DRM!!!

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I'm still upset I bought Fable III - console controls and that lame microsoft games thing?!? bah

that is exactly what i thought too :poly127:

and thats a shame, because fable III was/is actually a really fun game
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Snader wrote: »
    Apparently, every time you upgrade, you accrue 'points'. And supposedly a mobo is more points than a strip of ram. Once you reach a certain amounts of points, the key will no longer just work, but you have to call MS to activate it. However, over time these points get subtracted again. So basically you should be able to upgrade indefinitely, as long as you don't switch out parts too often. Which sounds pretty nice to me. (considering it's an OEM license)

I feel betrayed! ;) The description I gave was what I had read on it in the past. I agree, the method you mentioned, does sound much better.

Kwramm: Agreed. It was very simple to just call and get a new activation code. I think they mainly relied on people fearing to call (because they weren't legit), which of course is stupid, because the people who pirate things, tend to be bolder about these types of things. But still, even if it was meant to intimidate, it was still a colossal waste of money.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why i have not bought an ubisoft games in years. I swear the company wants to go down
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    nick2730 wrote: »
    This is why i have not bought an ubisoft games in years. I swear the company wants to go down

Oh so you are a pirate! Remember, that's what you are, when you are a gamer, and don't buy the games and the company loses money. ;)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    McGreed wrote: »
    Oh so you are a pirate! Remember, that's what you are, when you are a gamer, and don't buy the games and the company loses money. ;)

Just because someone doesn't buy a game, doesn't mean he pirates it either. There are some of us who are able to not play a game once it is released.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Just because someone doesn't buy a game, doesn't mean he pirates it either. There are some of us who are able to not play a game once it is released.

You do know something about something called ironic, right? It was built on the whole attitude from the industry that pirated game, is a lost sale, and it never had anything to do with people not buying it because of the company.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    You do know something about something called ironic, right? It was built on the whole attitude from the industry that pirated game, is a lost sale, and it never had anything to do with people not buying it because of the company.
    I am unsure what you are saying, but 1 pirated copy =/= 1 lost sale.
  • Mr.Mint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the important part was
    and it never had anything to do with people not buying it because of the company.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Please try to steer away from a direct piracy definition discussion. We've had two or three threads recently locked, which discuss in depth the effects, types and definition's of it ;)

Looks like another stupid move on Ubisoft's part. Why would it make any sense to try and justify hardware tracking, when people often upgrade hardware every 1-3 years? Next they'll track Ip address's. Bare in mind that pirate's will not have this issues either, it just seems utterly pointless.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12

wow a bit on the defensive there, he said he just wont buy any ubisoft games, didn't say he was getting them in a other way.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    steel beasts has had a dongle for 10 years, and it's never been pirated. ever.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I suspect that may be because:

a) The game wasn't big enough in pirate-space to garner the interest in a pirated copy.
    b) You just haven't seen the pirated copy.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A casual google search turns up torrents on page 1, front and center. Give it up, you can't protect your software unless you provide it with a service like Battle.net or steam.

The solution is in the business model, not in the software.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    dejawolf wrote: »

I think being extremely nich
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    eld wrote: »
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It just took me about 1 minute to find a pirated version. And I've never even heard of this game before this very moment
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Or give a clear warning (are they doing this?)

They do it for some DRM (example: http://store.steampowered.com/app/9860/ ) but not for everything, I think.

@ McGreed - you don't mean irony, you mean sarcasm.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Snader wrote: »
    but not for everything, I think.

The biggest customers that get burned by it are the pre-orders - the DRM's a secret until the game is actually out there.

See: From Dust
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wut?, i dont buy ubisoft games cause alot of times im in locations that i dont have access to the internet. And I dont want to support a companies with this kind of business plan. Plus i bought 1 ubisoft game with this type of DRM and i will never do it again. Wanted to play the game and ubisoft servers were down so i couldnt. If we actually support this crap ubisoft will never remove it. Im not paying for a game where i have to be online all the time, what happens if my internet is down, or im on an airplane or in a airport or train since i take it to work and i cant play the game cause i dont have an internet connection?

Besides everyone knows the only people this hurts are the actual customers, pirates will get a crack out in weeks and never have to deal with it. I LOVE Heroes of Might and Magic, so i bought 6. Never again because of this DRM crap
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    wut?, i dont buy ubisoft games cause alot of times im in locations that i dont have access to the internet. And I dont want to support a companies with this kind of business plan. Plus i bought 1 ubisoft game with this type of DRM and i will never do it again. Wanted to play the game and ubisoft servers were down so i couldnt. If we actually support this crap ubisoft will never remove it. Im not paying for a game where i have to be online all the time, what happens if my internet is down, or im on an airplane or in a airport or train since i take it to work and i cant play the game cause i dont have an internet connection?

Besides everyone knows the only people this hurts are the actual customers, pirates will get a crack out in weeks and never have to deal with it. I LOVE Heroes of Might and Magic, so i bought 6. Never again because of this DRM crap

Lol, damn, you gotta read between the lines, that was the whole idea, that when we boycut a game and don't buy it, the companies will spin it and say that the lost sales was because of piracy. I'm all for not buying games because of DRM or something the company did, Ubisoft as one of the companies that is in my black book.

The problem is DRM is fighting an up-hill fight, because the more DRM they add, the more people want DRM free stuff, which means pirating it, which means more DRM ect.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im bad at reading between the lines :-). especially online. I need it spelled out lol
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    This stuff actually makes me quite angry, the developers and the customers both suffer, the only ones that don't are the pirates. It's quite easy to boycott the game or get your "drm free version" but the studio and devs who have worked hard on an otherwise good game are the ones that suffer.

Also to those who say steam is the best DRM, you can get pirated versions of plenty of steam games including Valve's. The only reason it's good DRM is it makes the users experience better with social tools, easy updates and generally easy online gaming. In this case the steam product is "better" than the pirated product, unlike this where ubisoft is making the pirate product more appealing than the bought one.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Don't forget that with Steam's encryption theres no chance of a game being released or cracked before the release date.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    Your average "How to crack" magazine deals with that every month.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Don't forget that with Steam's encryption theres no chance of a game being released or cracked before the release date.
    That has very little to do with steam, any correctly implemented encryption will do the same thing.

Unfortunately that's about all it's good for. Once the install has been decrypted it's a free for all. That's where DRM is expected to come in and solve everything.