Home Technical Talk

SMAA: Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing

I've just discovered this while ago, I was looking for some thread on here to read more about it, but I could not find any, so I'll just post some info here.

Video demonstration:

[vv]31247769[/vv]

What is SMAA: (copy paste)

http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

New image-based, post-processing anti-aliasing technique, which offers practical solutions to the common, open problems of existing filter-based real-time anti-aliasing algorithms. Some of the new features include local contrast analysis for more reliable edge detection, and a simple and effective way to handle sharp geometric features and diagonal lines. This, along with our accelerated and accurate pattern classification allows for a better reconstruction of silhouettes. Our method shows for the first time how to combine morphological anti-aliasing (MLAA) with additional multi/supersampling strategies (MSAA, SSAA) for accurate subpixel features, and how to couple it with temporal reprojection; always preserving the sharpness of the image. All these solutions combine synergies making for a very robust technique, yielding results of better overall quality than previous approaches while more closely converging to MSAA/SSAA references but maintaining extremely fast execution times. Additionally, we propose different presets to better fit the available resources or particular needs of each scenario.

I have tested it myself and I gotta say, I'm truly impressed about the image quality of SMAA, FXAA/MLAA is no competition for this.

You can go ahead and download SMAA injector here: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

It works for a lot of games, including Skyrim, Battlefield 3 or Borderlands.

What is your impression?

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    What is your experience with performance ? It says its efficient but its still AA.

Tried with Arkham Asylum. Works great. Didn't feel any change in fps and it looks really good.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Might be my eyes but in that first example, thats a LOT more blurred on the actual surface... And thats what let down a lot of these new AA style ideas.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    All kinds of AA simply blur the borders of the pixels, there is nothing new about that.

The difference between this and your average FXAA (which is what this SMAA is trying to replace) doesn't interact with the game on a Post-Process level.

Let me put it this way, when you play Skyrim, using the FXAA or ENB series, you can AA your jaggies, but they also interact with stuff you don't want them to (like your Menu's, Bloom, Text, etc) which can bring somewhat nasty results to look at, and in some cases, your books and text glow like neon signs, blinding you.

SMAA avoids all this, so you're getting rid of your jaggies in the game without it interacting with the, for a lack of better terms, more important context based items in the game.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Its really cool because it only requires copying small file into game dir. You can toggle it on/off with pause button so you can really see difference. People write that in some games it screws menus etc but its worth trying.
  • Tom3dJay
    My experience with this is really wonderful.

I'm using the injector in Red orchestra 2 and borderlands, the results are amazing.

RO2 has native support for FXAA and MLAA, I've been switching between those two constantly because I didn't really like any of those. Both produced the same exact artifacts as show in video.

SSMA is kind of a big deal for me, it gives very clear AA with no performance impact.
    Sure, MSAA + SS renders the clearest image, but performance hit is drastic, even on high end cards.