Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fictional Weapon Designs (WIP)

Working on creating a fictional weapon that will have custom animations and sounds for UDK.
Here are some silhouettes that I have been working on, I am after some feedback to help me create and expand the shape of the weapon.
At the moment they are pretty basic and will need work done on them before I continue but I am up for listening and taking on information.
I am no weapons expert either, I just have a strange obsession with weapons and their shapes.

Inspirations for these designs have come from looking at real weapons and weapons from Brink.

weaponsheetsmaller.jpg

Replies

• JamGeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update to the gun. I used design 1 and 4 and mixed them up a bit. I wasn't a fan of the holographic sight on 4, so I took the buttstock from 1 and added it to 4 and edited the front barrel.

4-test1.jpg
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    you should think about how uncomfortable it would be to hold that gun if the clip is right behind the handle...it would constantly get in the way...and if a human was holding it- it would clip through the arm geo ( no pun intended)
  • JamGeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SasoChicken Thanks for the reply. My main vision was to create a weapon like something from Brink. Something that looks real and could be used by military. Short story is I want to create something futuristic looking but not too sci-fi. That Crysis weapon helps actually, I haven't looked much at Crysis.

Arthur Ramazanov Thanks. I have used some bullpup configurations to create the weapon but now you have said that, I am actually thinking if the trigger is too far in front for the player to hold properly. May have to reduce the size of the buttstock.
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    cool i like the look of those types of guns, here are some ref images for you

NorincoQBZ-95.jpg
    Steyr-AUG-HBAR.jpg
    NorincoQBU-88.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I was just gonna add... #3's silhouette made me think of a paintball gun at first, not a military weapon.
  • JamGeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I used that concept and pushed the design a bit more with colour and such and here was my final concept.

weapon%20colour10.jpg

I've been working on my high poly model and tried to keep as close to the concept as I can. I'm happy with where it's going and only need to add more detail into the model and get some scratches and such done in Zbrush.
    I hope you like it and have a bit of time to play with so I'm up for making any changes.
    beauty2.jpg
    beauty3.jpg
    beauty4.jpg

and here are 2 quick shots of the wires.

wire1.jpg
    wire2.jpg

Thanks
  • laim1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty great! I've never done any high poly weapon stuff so wouldn't want to comment on the topology myself but I do think the grip is too thick. It looks like it would be difficult to get your hand around, the trigger guard also looks a little bulky to me. other than that the design looks great to me.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The bottom of the magazine is too much of an angle, it should be more vertical. I'd also try to make the curves of your weapon more elliptical and smooth.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    The gun looks a bit wide to me atm, looks like it would be hard to handle efficiently because you'd be struggling to hold it. The HP looks great though I think you can add more detailed pieces to the fore grip, maybe cover the barrel and have vents there showing it?
  • JamGeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laim1991 - Yea, the top-down image in my concept was way too fat and I only just started to realise. I will be scaling the whole gun minus the barrel to make it a bit thinner and look more comfortable. Thanks

Snader - I shall get onto the magazine now.

marq4prosche - I liked your idea of adding a cover for the barrel. Here is an update of it. It was only a quick one so I can change anything that doesn't look right.

cover.jpg
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personnally find the grip a little off.

To start teh trigger is usually even to teh base of your thumb when you grip the weapon. (See red line)

280px-AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Where as your weapon the shooter would have to hold the weapon with their hand pointing up and not allowing them to squeeze the trigger naturally.

wire2.jpg

This is just my opinion(or maybe I just have big hands :)
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's no room for the receiver.

good lookin gun though.

rec.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    The design itself is really good, but if you are planning to bake you high poly into a low poly you should softer your edges a bit so you get better results on the normal map
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    I like the idea of a heat shield above the barrel and the design you chose looks nice, but usually heat shields are a much thinner sheet of metal so try to scale back the thickness a bit. Also for me one of the biggest issues is the gun is just a bit too wide, imagine trying to hold that pistol grip.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Paradan wrote: »
    there's no room for the receiver.

good lookin gun though.

rec.jpg

It's cramped but still feasible for a vertical or slightly rearward feed.

tkb0221.jpg

The only real major issue I have with this design is the angle of the mag well and the shape of the grip - it's too wide and not long enough. A LITTLE more space between it and the mag could help, but the L85 and several others are just as bad or only barely better.

Other than that, it's surprisingly and refreshingly feasible. It feels potentially real, rather than fantastical trying and failing to look real. Nice design.
  • JamGeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the recommendations people. I worked on all of the things that were mentioned by people and here was the final high poly version that would be retopped, textured, animated then put into engine.
    25.jpg

and here is a shot of it in marmoset toolbag
    marmoset-render2.jpg

I used scripting help from the guys at Magic Stone to help me get it into engine and be able to reload, aim down the sight and to add the hands.
    Here is a video of the weapon working in UDK. The quality is a bit low because of the compression that was used in movie maker after it came out of fraps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJyi0QW-MF8"]Custom weapon in UDK. - YouTube[/ame]
  • RobHancock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, the iron site works really well.