Home Technical Talk

Best uvmap?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Wich one of those 3 is best uvmap in your opinion for this kind of model ?

both for baking normals and both for texturing?

uvmapg.jpg

Replies

• MagnificentMicrowave
    Depends on a lot of things. (use, camera facing, texture resolution, highpoly mesh) But I certainly wouldn't put the seam right through the front unless this was meant for a sidescroller.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    mm yeah mix of the third for the lower part and the first for the upper part, but with the seam behind. Try to put seams where you'll have the lowest details, so basically, not the front of a shoe.
    I wudn't recommand to have a thin angle between edges like you did on the highest seam of the third example, coz you'll have issues with bleeding.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok so put the main seam behind and to have more faces possible attacheD?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    How about now ?

97601860.jpg
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Thats how I most of the time unwrap my leg/foot/shoe/boots. Though instead of placeing the seam at the back of the leg i would put it on the inside.

When unwrapping just ask your self a couple of questions.
    - How will my models be viewed? If there is a fixed camera and the player is facing a fixed direction (2d game, facing left or right), you can probably hide the seams in places that are facing away from the camera, like MagnificentMicrowave said.
    - Where would be the best place to hide the seams. If you need help with this, make a quick AO render and note which areas get darkened. Those areas will most likely be hard to see, so they are good places to place seams. (In case of legs, on the inside of the legs.)
    - How would it be easier to texture? Straight lines are easier to texture vs curved/wavy lines. Especially on very low poly stuff.
    - Can you take advantage of natural seams? Most clothes have seams on them, take note of these and place your uv seams in similiar places. Also "transitions" from 1 object/material to another are good places to place seams, like from the boot to the pants.