Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted stuff

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Heya guys. My main new year's resolution is to enter on gaming industry. As I know, a job won't fall from sky in my arms, so I start practicing, to learn and improve as more as possible.

My goals, at this moment are to be good at painting and hand painted models. I'm gonna post my projects here, to receive some feedback and tips from the members of this glorious comunity.

MOST RECENT WIPS:

Uriel_presentation_01.jpg

Uriel_presentation_02.jpg

Uriel_presentation_03.jpg

Uriel_presentation_04.jpg

Uriel_presentation_05.jpg

Uriel_presentation_06.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This was my first attempt. I have to work more on backside, and give some more love on texture.

Concept:
    shield_concept.jpg

Model:
    shield_wip_01.jpg

shield_wip_02.jpg

Shield_texture_02.jpg

Shield_turntable.gif
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    And this is the model I'm working currently. I made this during week:

Orc_WIP_01.jpg

Orc_WIP_02.jpg

Orc_WIP_03.jpg

I worked a bit more on this guy this weekend. Here are some progress shots.

Orc_WIP_05.jpg

Orc_WIP_06.jpg

Orc_WIP_07.jpg

Orc_WIP_08.jpg

Orc_WIP_04.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really liking the brushwork you got going in the Orc, very painterly.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well i got some crits for you here:
    first of the cracks on the shield are way too regular. randomize more in terms of placing and size.
    also they all look like cracks, but what makes metal believable is not only cracks but also lighting and scratches. for hand painted a combination of some cracks and lots of scratches works best imo.

also your light for the shield is placed directly above the shield.
    this may seem like the most usable preference, but its not.
    a static top skylight makes everything look boring and symetrical, and since u do have unique uv´s you should be using them.

for me a 45° light works best, realy good to place some dynamic into an object and also gives the eye something to look at, and you better ways to render out shapes.

for the orc, the metal does have way too few scatches and cracks imo.
    i´d recommend you to try that out, it may look better the way it is now, but it maby could look a lot better if you add more detail.
    gues your still tweaking on that guy anyway.

and the transitions between some of his bodyparts dont look realy good. im talking the front and side of the head here. it looks like you realy picked some weird projection angles from wich you painted your textures.
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
    Good Work !
    (t
  • TonyClifton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got style!

subscribed!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, really great work on the paint colors on that orc, looks like oil on canvas almost. Did you have any refs?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I love that orc texture. Very painterly. :D
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting textures! Keep it up!
  • hathol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    great style, i love the orc. the only thing i could comment on though is that his face and ears look a little bit low res. it seems like his face is also fairly small in relation to some of the other less important objects in your UV map. i dont know ifs its possible at this point but making that face either a bit bigger or on another separate map would be spectacular. really awesome painting though, i'm trying to beef up my skills, soaking in all of the tips polycount can give me.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Love the texture style. Nice work.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, painterly style :) 2D skillzz shinin' through! I like the way the shield is rendered, however I think it would look a lot better if the design were a bit more interesting. I think that might be solved if you added another color in there somewhere in the form of another metal, or some jewels, bolts, or something.

The orc is really cool! I love his face especially, and the way you painted his skin. Except it looks like his neck muscles/tendons whatever should be taut, but instead they look wobbly. Unless that's like excess droopy skin or something? but it's not really reading like that either.

His armor could use some work imo. For example his shoulder pad thingies look like they were cut out of cardboard and there's not too much sense of construction. I'd imagine there might be stitch seams, some wrinkles/folds where the spikes are connected, scratches, etc.

The lighting on the belt looks a little funny too, there's lighting on the top, but it seems like there should be a little ao there instead, where the studded belt rim meets the rest of the belt - right now it kinda looks like that area is glowing.

I really love your painting style though, so keep going, can't wait to see more :]
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you very much, guys and girl, for your comments and honest crits. It's because of this that I love Polycount =) I took note of everything you have pointed, and when I make corrections, I'll post another up.

@Nix: I'm not looking at specific references to paint these. This is just my style. But I'm influenced by a lot of people. Mainly: Craig Mullins, Linda Bergkvist and Ruan Jiajia on 2d side. And Pior, Ben Regimbal, Bobo, and Haikai on game art side. FirstKeeper and Murphy are very new influences too, as well as Jessica Dinh, that was one of my strongest motivations to invest on hand painted stuff. I felt very motivated after reading her thread of wells.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I worked a bit more on the Orc, taking your crits in consideration. I think this exercise is finished, unless you have something more to point.

Orc_WIP_09.jpg

Orc_WIP_10.jpg

Orc_WIP_11.jpg

Orc_WIP_12.jpg

Orc_WIP_13.jpg

Orc_WIP_14.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i preferred the first version of the orc :poly121:

really had a wonderful style to it. good job.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I received the same feedback on WAYWO thread. But I had to make some smoothing, specially in skin to make the look of materials more individual. My intention wasn't to make a generic model, but one with consistent material representation.

Next time, I´ll try to make this diferentiation preserving the painterly look. Thank you, man.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I think the problem may be the amount of white u laid on top of him. Minimize the highlights to a more graphical shape, more concise, more transparent. This should help retain the material texture & value underneath
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, i really love this style of your hand painted technique. please post more!

I'm a fan now:)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Real interesting style with this. Totally agree with Sectaurs on the first one being more powerful. It's a neat interpretation of 'hand painted'. It's almost sketch like or something. Nice work.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    love the style you have here. One day would like to get into learning to hand paint. look forward to more of your work.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Time for personal projects, is too little this month. So, sorry for the lack of updates. But anyway, I'm trying to proceed as much as I can. Soon I'll post my next concept and model.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    I think it's looking great, and very nice personal touch.

I'd tone down the use of white/bright colors though - just make things darker, and be cheaper on light colors, since it seems like you have a tendency to make things bright.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Blaken. I'm trying to do exactly this, tone things down a bit. Here's a concept I'm working on. It's far from finished, but it gives already a good idea. She'll be my next painted model.

Witch_WIP_02.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Digging that concept :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this looks like a cool concept! I'll follow it. :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, guys. Finally I have something to show. 4100 tris. Texture is very rough by now, and I'm trying to figure out how to use colors in a more vivid way than they are at moment. Crits, tips and tricks are welcome.

Witch_WIP_04.jpg

Witch_WIP_05.jpg

Witch_WIP_06.jpg

Witch_WIP_07.jpg

Witch_WIP_08.jpg

Witch_WIP_09.jpg

Witch_WIP_10.jpg
  • TheTurner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your metal and steel work is soooo sick!!

Have you considered posting small tutorials? I would love to see your process
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting artstyle with the textures. It somehow has a strange feel to it, but I can't put my finger on it why that could be. I love the hat though! :D
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not a huge fan of the yellow blotches on the face, and something feels really off with the values in your texture. I think it's got too much lighting information baked in!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Try adding cools (magentas) to the shadows (specially on the skintones) so it compliments the warm light. It might just make the whole pop better.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    shotgun wrote: »
    Try adding cools (magentas) to the shadows (specially on the skintones) so it compliments the warm light. It might just make the whole pop better.

totally agree, just more subtle gradients of colour from light to shade in general would be nice, by all means keep the cool brush stroked look you got going on but you could overlay some gradient maps or something to get the look you want.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys. As I said, this is very rough yet, I just projected the concept over the model and adjusted some parts. I had some time to apply some of your tips tough. I hope you agree she looks a bit better now.

@TheTurner: Thank you, but I don't think I'm good enough yet to make tutorials. Anyway, there's nothing really special here. I just use the same metal color for highlights (brush in linear dodge mode).

Witch_WIP_11.jpg

Witch_WIP_12b.jpg

Witch_WIP_13.jpg
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    The face looks a bit puffy now. Almost as if she's been stung by a bee. Otherwise, keep it up.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You have too many loops/sides on her body and not enough on the hat/skirt. The skirt edge has 3 times as big a radius as her hips, and 4 times as big as her waist - yet it has only 16 sides whereas the body has 18? Along the same lines, her skirt and hat really need some more pixels.

It also looks (though I can't judge very well because of the skirt) as though her legs are a bit short, and her arms a pinch too long.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, guys. I tried to fix her face. And I'm adding ortho views too, so you can judge if proportions need to be fixed.

Snader: Body and skirt have 16 sides. I´ve added 2 more loops on skirt, on height... How many sides do you suggest I put on width of skirt?

Witch_WIP_14.jpg

Witch_WIP_15.jpg

Witch_WIP_16.jpg

Witch_WIP_17.jpg

Witch_WIP_18.jpg
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her face gets rounder with every new picture you post, it realy lacks the cute look it has on the concept. :/
    On a positive note, I love the texture progress so far.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Huhahahah.. I was thinking it was better. Maybe the problem is not with textures, but with the model itself, then. I'll try to fix this later.

It's strange, it's like if this model is not flowing right. Maybe I have to start from beginning again.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lip corners feel unnatural, both on previous and current version. they seem too sharp and probably there's too much highlight below them and not enough shade above them. check this out: http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/07/draw-lips/

btw, i like the older version as well.
    current version's eyes make me think of husky dogs, they feel artificial. face has become pretty baby like or doll like, it has indeed lost some of the original charm.

strong lines on the nose gives her that slightly disgusted look, was that on purpose?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thsnks, Blaisoid. I put more efforts to make her face closer to the concept.

Witch_WIP_19.jpg

Witch_WIP_20.jpg

Witch_WIP_21.jpg

Let me know guys what do you think.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey dude! Looks nice. I really like the painterly style you have going on in the last couple pieces.

I think some of her features are bit harsh? I did a bit of a paintover. Pretty crappy and not sure if it's the direction you're going but maybe it can give you some ideas.

2vl18cx.jpg
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think LRoys paintover is getting there, though I personally am not a fan of the angle of here eyes there.
    God I hate it when I just can't tell what exactly is bothering me, when something just doesn't 'feel' right... :/
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you very much for your paintover, LRoy. I've made some changes on her face shapes and textures, trying match your suggestion. What do you think?

Witch_WIP_22.jpg

Witch_WIP_23.jpg

And some more work on textures and polycount magical artifacts.

Witch_WIP_24.jpg

Witch_WIP_25.jpg

Witch_WIP_26.jpg

Witch_WIP_27.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Woo!! Nailed it! Face looks super cute now :) Maybe try making the lips darker like in your concept? Gives her that more 'witchy' feel.

Couple things - She is too short below the knees, and I think her shoulders are a bit wide. Also her arms are a bit thick beneath her armpits, making it look like she has flabby arms.

Really, really love the design of this char, and the textures are amazing so far :):):)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah man great improvement. Lookin loads better. I think maybe go a tiny bit easier on the shading on the chin area? making it feel a bit chunky.

I agree with jessica on the proportions.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! That's it. Now she got the cute face, the cheeks look a little bit 'puffy', but that kind of helps the look. :)

And these polycount fireballs look pretty amazing aswell. Could we see I wire of them, please? ^^
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for your tips, Jessica, Lroy, Seirei. I'll make corrections, and next up probably will the the last.

About the balls, nothing fancy. A simple sphere, and some planes, with transparency and their rotation tied to the camera rotation. 120 tris, and a 256 map. I tried 128, but it looked too rough in comparison with her texture.

Witch_fireball_wire.jpg
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    I luv your style of painting textures, the face of the woman looks very nice. good job!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Almost there.. I Have to find some time now to make good presentation shots.

Witch_WIP_28.jpg

Witch_WIP_29.jpg

Witch_WIP_30.jpg

Witch_WIP_31.jpg

Witch_WIP_32.jpg

Witch_WIP_33.jpg

Turntable: http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa426/jramauri/Witch_turn1.gif
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Me likes
    • Overall the model looks really, really nice. The last face fix you did made her look super cute!
    • Topology looks nice too, couldcha post a wire shot without all the accessories?
    • Texture style looks really nice because of the coarse brush strokes.

Not so much
    • To me the colors of your textures look too desatured, somehow "muddy" even. I don't say you should go and change them no, because it's very unique style to do, but if I had textured these models, I would've used a bit different colors.
    • There is also weird contrast between the fireballs and the character. Those elementals look like they lack all the contrast that is present in the character texture, and their flames don't seem to match the rest of the texture style. Maybe they should have that brush look as well to make them fit in better?

Something in between
    • The green of the hat looks somehow a bit too bright/saturated compared to the rest of her outfit. It's not a biggie but it definatelly strikes my eyes.
    • Also that bottom, wide part of the hat (dunno what it's called, the "base"?) seems to be lacking in detail. I don't really know what you could add there and not make it look weird, but it just looks too plain compared to other parts of her outfit.

PS: Your turntable doesn't seem to be very.. turning :|

EDIT Turntable works now. Lookin' good^^