Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Vehicle] Earthrise Hover Bike

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
I saw this sweet hover bike concept from the earthrise mmo.
I've been wanting to make something of this style for quite some time now.

Here's where I'm at right now:
[Concept at the top, render in the middle and wires at the bottom]
1z5uk5w.jpg

crit's and comments very much welcome! :thumbup:

Replies

• Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking pretty good. I actually have this in my own concept folder to maybe do one day. Two things I noticed, the front opening the edges seem harder in your iteration then in the concept. And the display on top, right now you just have it as a separate mesh sticking into the model. I think it is fine to leave it that way but perhaps shaping the bottom to more match the curvature of the body of the bike and giving it a slight base to make it look like it is actually attached.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys, I need some help.
    I'm having a very hard time finding out how to do these bevels that go across the model which get out of my "original wire-flow" to create panels or separations. If that makes sense.
    If I'm able to understand this one part, I think I can nail the rest of it.
    I've been trying for hours upon hours now re-modeling this piece, trying new things to get it to work and nothing is doing it.

I've remodeled this piece a couple times to try to get it to work and it's not happening. Does my wire-flow have to match these shapes or do I just cut these shapes in, which then create ngons and such. Ahh I'm ripping my hair out!
    vrvj44.jpg
    I'm trying to get these bevels in:
    2enyj5c.jpg
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    What you have along the top is good. Just add moar geo! hehe. You just need some extra edges cut in there to keep the subdivide from looking like trash. Also if you're planning on bringing this into zbrush you could just use an alpha on a high subd to do the other details you have there.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a pic of something similar I did a while back. Look at the battery section and the part just above the trigger guard. They were all done using alphas.

http://tinyurl.com/6uqxpho
  • c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    you could try to lay this one out on a flat surface add all the indentations You want, apply turbosmooth once or twice and then use bend modifier so it forms a cylinder
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what I do is make the overall shape of the model then go into 3dcoat and retopo to add shapes I want on top then import this new topology into max and extrude and bevel it.

or otherwise split the model into a few seperate meshes in max to make it easier on yourself.

I like the model and concept a lot!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whenever I need to lay out bevels like that, I like to use floating geo.

hoverbikefloatinggeopic.jpg

Just model a strip of polygons over the top of the model and get your bevel in there. It gives pretty good results, and bakes pretty well. Also, your not adding a bunch of extra loops that can mess up the overall shape when you smooth.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    2enyj5c.jpg

this will bake so much better if you just make these parts separate pieces. and you could also Ctrl+Shift-Click to Isolate them in Zbrush. just my 2 cents.

EDIT:

adding bevels will probably slow you down a bit, and make a mess as well.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are always the most difficult shapes to get for highpoly hard surface. float baking is difficult when you try to do it over a curved shape like a cylinder. You could try just sculpting with Z Brush and steady mouse if ur just using it to bake..

edit: I just noticed theres damage on some of those indenting edges too.. So you should be sculpting that damage for the normal bake anyways.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    in the later versions of max, in the freeform section of the graphite modeling tools there is a tool to draw splines on top of any surface. draw the bevels out, model a beveled strip and path-deform/extrude along the spline. easy floaters!