Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP The Tribe

Hi All,
This is a little diarama piece that I've been working on for awhile. Ultimately I'd like to use it in my portfolio. I've gotten a lot of good feedback on it, but I'd like some more. So, please feel free to respond.

One big puzzle I still need to solve is the base the diarama sits on. I've tried a couple of variations and none have really seemed right, so for these shots it just has a plain grey texture on it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/critique/ideas you might have!
1.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Replies

• Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great McKown!

I love the color pallet and the foliage looks great!

It looks like the ladders are made of rope and wood, but I'm not sure if it reads as that from afar.. It feels really stiff. It might be pretty cool to see some bigger foliage on the ground too.

It looks like a great portfolio piece..
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I dig the scene but i think those hanging lanterns really clash with the overall vibe of a tribal setting. I'd ditch those and go with torches.

The ladders could have more character to 'em too, change up the scale of some of the planks of wood, put some at an angle, have the rope droop at a curve in certain areas.

Could use a little "oomph" somewhere, maybe some kind of ceremonial flower arrangement around the front of the door? Just an idea, could use some punch somewhere. How about some tiki masks put around the place to boot?
    20-tiki-mask-fire.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the base too much, the flat grey didn't really bother me too much, helped me focus on the actual work which is what matters. Some hanging foreground vines may look cool though.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I the only one who sees a problem with having a fire put on a wooden surface?

Other than that, fantastic work! I'm especially loving the roots of the tree.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
    +1 for the tiki :)

In any case, great work, i like the mood of it! :D
  • EMcKown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Moosebish & crazyfingers: the ladder is still in progress, I have a zbrush sculpt i'm adding some of that specific detail to, though I hadn't though of some of it before.

@crazyfingers: i hadn't really though that the lanterns looked out of place before, but now that you said it, i totally agree, so thanks for the heads up.

@piesandbombs: I absolutely agree about the fire on wood comment, but this has been the best possible option for a cook-fire up in a tree. i'm glad you didn't see the previous versions, lol. with this one I made sure the rocks underneath the fire were so close together the fire and embers wouldn't hit the wood underneath ( in theory at least :)) I may move it to the ground in the end.

@everyone: thank you so much for the great feedback!! It's such a big help.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I like the round lanterns. I feel like it keeps the shape theme with the hut.
    If there is anything clashy about them, is the method of coloration on the hut. do similar striping on the lanterns and they'll fit right in.

Something tiki, I feel, would clash more, as the scene and species of tree aren't very tropical or island like. Lush, yes, but in a more steppe or inland way.

Fire on the porch: Given the technological development level you've presented here there are a number of better options.

These dwellers have good woodworking, and weaving skills. It looks like all the pots and bowls around the place are thatched or woven plant matter rather than pottery. Not sure if that's your intention, but if they are supposed to be pottery or stonework you could give them an elevated stone firepit.
    Assuming they are thatch, you could likely still make a fire pit out of one, or out of a wooden basin, lining the bottom with sand and rock to make a pit for the fire to be in. this would both retain heat, and shield the material from reaching a combustible temperature. Elevate it with a frame or legs (also made of wood).

Diorama base suggestion:
    Have the vegetation protrude over the edges a bit and texture the sides of the platform like deepening dirt, maybe with some chunks of rock in there. :) Could be like a cookie cutter slice of the area.