Home Digital Sketchbooks

SKETCHBOOK - Arcturus

Hey all, just signed up for Polycount and just wanted to post some stuff for you all to see. I'm a 3D modeler, and I specialize in weapons and inanimate objects. I have work that I have done previously, but it would take to long to post all of the screenshots so I will just leave the link to my website photo gallery:

http://arthurmartinez.webs.com/apps/photos/

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and I will keep you all updated on my future progress!

Replies

• ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start dude, you have some pretty awesome gun and sword designs and are off to a good start in modeling them

a few tips for just showing off to make it easier for us to give you feedback:
    1) for the wireframes dont have the verts selected and the dots in the middle of the faces, try to keep it cleaner more like this:
    pmEO6s.png
    My brain exploded a little when I was looking at the sword and all i saw were blue and yellow dots.

2) Its cool that you have it up on a site but the way its set up its really a pain to see the images at full size and scroll through all of em. Since in order to upload them to webs.com u must have the jpeg(or png whatever). Go to imgur.com, you can click and drag all of your images on to the site and it'll upload them all in one swoop, from there you can generate image links and just batch load all the links you will need to this thread. (try to organize screenshots of the same weapon together and do like concept first, highpoly, then lowpoly of it)
    E02E6.png

3) For showing off your low poly game object I would recommend to not use the smooth preview ('3' key) make sure your object is with a smoothness of 1 ('1' key)

Good luck! :)
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, definitely going to keep that in mind when I start posting more. Gonna follow your advice and redo the screenshots of my weapons, without having the verts selected so they are easier to look at. It's pretty late at the moment however so I'll do that as soon as I wake up in the morning
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retook all of my screenshots, and this is my entire model library so far. More to come!

EDIT: Also want to note that I found these concepts online using google. They are weapon concepts from various games, and I will accredit artists if I use their concepts

WqsYK.png

Jcec3.png

Fz29k.png

BBiuh.png

YSy3B.png

X67TG.png

CMPKN.png

00Eme.png

VPSXZ.png

ekojG.png

ln535.png

cQAon.png

6LEC0.png

HJ5Iy.png

gVpve.png

Bg1gr.png
  • Arcturus
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I am currently working on. Concept provided by Max Davenport (suburbbum)

Clyc1.png
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick model I made; it is an ivory sword from the Vindictus online game. Unwrapping and texturing will be posted in the future.

nOgiI.jpg

8I4ji.png

MN2GD.png

Zj19F.png
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    let the mass texturing commense
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let the mass texturing commense

I know right? All of my models are half done since I never took the time to unwrap and texture them, so it is about time I started!
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept art by Max Davenport.

tLJ6p.png

NzWWj.jpg
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concept by max davenport
    JwGAx.jpg

F0uXA.png
  • Arcturus
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Well this is quite the arsenal you've got here. I've noticed that a lot of these are true in silhouette, but there are a lot of wasted tris in your budget. A big thing you might want to focus on is picking a style, be it hand-painted, realistic, or whatever, and then going from concept to finished model. Right now you're kind of just repeating bad mistakes and, while your modeling is getting some practice in, you're missing other key areas. It'd be nice to see some finished work from you.
  • Arcturus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum wrote: »
    Well this is quite the arsenal you've got here. I've noticed that a lot of these are true in silhouette, but there are a lot of wasted tris in your budget. A big thing you might want to focus on is picking a style, be it hand-painted, realistic, or whatever, and then going from concept to finished model. Right now you're kind of just repeating bad mistakes and, while your modeling is getting some practice in, you're missing other key areas. It'd be nice to see some finished work from you.

Duly noted. I'll try and find an art style that I find comfortable, although I do enjoy just randomly picking up a concept piece and making something.

The texturing is something I am still currently working on, as I (unfortunately) lost the pen to my tablet so the most I can do is make the normal maps and unwrap the UVs.

EDIT: Also, do you mind pointing out the areas where I have wasted tris? This might keep me from following the same mistakes in the future

EDIT2: Planning on redoing most of the models I have made in order to make them separate pieces. I feel like I can reduce the tri count on most of them by quite a bit and have them under 1000 tris each