Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Terry Buchan 3D Environment Artist

Hi everyone. I've just finished a first draft of my current portfolio, nearing the end of my degree. I thought I'd post it up here to get some critiques on the layout and functionality of my site and of course the content. Some of you may of seen some of my pieces on here in the past.

Here's my site:

www.terrybuchan.co.uk

2 of my pieces are currently rendered pieces and 2 of them are presented in Marmoset. But i plan on getting the rendered pieces into UDK as soon as possible. I am part of a rendered film project at the moment but prefer to create in-engine works.

Thanks alot to anyone to views and comments. :)

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Overall i the site is just right. Simple, good overview and so on.

I just had a quick look at your resume and i belive that stating your age is only hurting you as people generally tend to judge by age.

I'm 21 and i feel that if you actually want to know, I'm fine with it. But other then that i don't really tell people that how old I'm. I mean in my resume and cover letter ofc :)

Your work looks solid :) I do belive the portfolio would benefit from having something bigger, more like a complete scene though.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Overall pretty solid presentation. I do think your pieces needs a bit more work especially the environment ones. You could make tons of awesome with what you've already got there. The buried london museum doorway could be really cool if you add more props and detail to the scene. It's a really nice start I just think you should go the extra mile and make it awesome. :thumbup: :)
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the advice guys. I'll take it all on board and post some improvements asap. I'm going to be continually working on improving my skills up until i graduate and post regular updates to get as much feedback as i can.

Thanks again :)
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Simple and to the point folio. I agree with the rest of the posters.

One thing I noticed (has to do with your site and not the content) you need to change your website title (I think that's what it's called) because when I opened it on a new tab with firefox I see the title in the tab to be "Home Page Version 2"

Good work though, keep it up!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Outer glow and inner glow on those thumbs, huh? Pimpin.

Anyway, I like your site layout, simple but effective/professional. Your modelling seems nice, I agree you need a bigger environment. It also seems a bit weird that your two scenes that feature monuments buried in sand are separated out the way they are. Overall you just need more content.

Also, I don't really think your logo fits with either the rest of the site, or the nature of your work. I would change it.. but you should wait for some other people to weigh in on that.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    There's no reason to use images like this:
    index_11.gif
    I'm also not fond of you using images for paragraphs of text, the fonts you chose (don't need as many and they kinda clash) nor the header image thing.

Layout is pretty good though.