Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK scene: dead space 2 control room (from concept)

ScottJ
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ScottJ polycounter lvl 13
here is my latest WIP, I found this dead space 2 concept on the net done by Joseph Cross

037_large.jpg
http://cghub.com/images/view/110210/

I have tried to recreate it in UDK as near to what can be seen with slight changes.

work1.jpg

Note that this is still a WIP, the concept was chosen as its a fairly simple scene to make and was looking for a super quick project, (normally spending months at a time on something) so far it has taken roughly about 4 days.

there are a couple of differences between my work and the concept, and in no way am I saying there's any issue with the concept as it looks great, however I am having problems accurately recreating a few of the lighting conditions

Notably the concept was done for detail and lighting, while recreating it I have found it hard to reproduce the exact lighting setup illustrated in the concept, the lighting on the floor looks like its coming from a light source high up or from a long distance yet the layout of the room doesn't seem to look as if its to far away and the size of the window is too small/low to get the light on the floor, so the main difference is the position of the light/shadow in my scene.

My next problem is that the center of the room behind the glass has a light in, casting upwards too, here I am unsure how the material light is intended to be, the metal seems to be a normal grey metal with a blue light being cast upon it, and having a hot white light in the middle, the issue here is the light that is cast upon the ceiling is white too with a slight blue tint and yet not that bright either.

these are my main too issues atm, I understand that its a concept so might not be 100% accurate however I am wondering if there is anything I missed to solve these two issues.

still working on materials and little bits and bobs here and there (notably under the desk is not finished)

other crits welcome, however as a speed project, having comments like there is a few pixels out here or there are not useful XP (I have seen some outstanding work before and yet comments are left about a corner of a prop in an entire scene could be done a little better)

Replies