Home Technical Talk

lowpoly from highpoly zbrush

Hello Polycount, I'm trying to do some organic zbrush work and would like help / direction to get better

here is what I did:

zbrush_model_crunch.jpg

(i know there's an issue with an unwelded vert to the right side of the top hole)

so once I had the HP form zbrush back into max, I used the ProOptimizer to get it down to 3,000 tris. i then cut the back and sides off it (not needed) and did another ProOptimizer to get it down to 1,000k.

Then I deleted the geo inside the holes/capped them and weleded other points to bring the polycount down to round 650tris.

I set it all in SG 1 and the insides of the holes in SG 2. unwrapped and baked.

I have also tried to look into different ways to make a LP, such as retopologizing inside of zbrush

zbrush_model_retop.jpg

but when doing this I put some points (zspheres) in the wrong place and don't know how to delete them.
The way I found out how do to this was from some obscure youtube video. which told me to make a zsphere and then use the rigging to bind the mesh etc etc.
wheres all the zbrush documentation on this? is it a big secret?

I like the idea of doing it like this but I'm not 100% sure how

I then looked into the new graphite tools in max
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8NgLJ1MJ0"]Retopology tutorial - freeform polydraw - 3d studio max 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

but they don't seem to work well. kinda like zbrush.
I couldn't find any documentation of them.

I think what I'm asking for here is what should I do? what have I done wrong?

also what's this process called? i've searched around but I'm turning up a blank on help with this. "lowpoly from highpoly zbrush"

the only stuff i've found online is people saying, use "topogun" or "3dcoat" But I'm trying to do this without adding an extra program into the mix

Replies

• SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Just a shot in the dark did you try separating your uv islands by smoothing groups?
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the split is inside the holes
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    However I'd still like some views on your work flow for hp to lp topology / creation?
    zbrush retopology etc

ZBrush retopology is pretty lacking these days. It really hasn't been touched in a while, so it's mostly just basic grunt work. I'd use it for getting down simpler shapes and basemeshes, but if you have access to other programs (Max/Maya/Softimage/Topogun/whatever), then you'll probably find they offer more convenient methods for retoplogizing something more fit for a final game asset.

The general steps, if you were still looking for them:
    1. Select zsphere
    2. Tools: Rigging Select Mesh (choose the model you want to retopologize)
    or, if you wanted to copy and edit existing topology
    Tools: Topology: Select Topo
    3. Tools: Topology: Edit Topology to begin

Clicking adds new vertices, ctrl+clicking selects vertices, and alt+clicking removes them. You can switch from draw mode to move mode in order to preposition them. You really have to be patient with your clicks to make sure you're not creating verts where you don't want them. It also helps to have the newest version of zbrush for the best display. If you have time to kill, it might also help to polypaint your intended topology onto the mesh to act as a visual guide. You'll probably want Tool: Projection on as well.

Regarding workflow, you'll probably never want to use polycruncher/decimation master like that. They have other uses. That mess of triangles will never look pretty for a game asset.

Personally, I have two general workflows when it comes to retopology, depending on what I'm creating.

Method 1:
    - Create the highpoly mesh using whatever methods get the job done.
    - Either use decimation master and export the mesh, or export a medium subdivision level if it is enough to hold the silhouette.
    - Import it into XSI, and retopologize there (and unwrap).
    - Back in zbrush, I'll need to export the highest subdivision level in order to bake maps from. Depending on the polycount this might either be the highest subdivision level, or a decimated mesh. If I already have a good decimated mesh from the previous step, then it becomes a prime candidate to save time.
    - Bake maps in xnormal

Method 2:
    - Create the basic form/shape using whatever methods get the job done.
    - Retopologize it (zbrush if simple, XSI if more complicated).
    - Go back to zbrush for more detailing.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid

Yeah the polycruncher way did work but it made a nasty lowpoly.

Also thanks for the zbrush stuff, the ctrl and alt clicking.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Your base mesh is not ideal, you don't need random edges and details on it, a simple box with evenly spaced geo would have sufficed. Let the sculpting app do the sculpting, worry about topology later. In doing simple box base mesh, you're saving time, making it easier to work with and most of all, your mesh won't need to be subdivided a crazy amount of levels to get some surface details.

What kind of object is that? it lacks shape, form and details. Try something found in the real world. Sure it is somewhat organic looking because it is smooth, but remember that normal maps work on surface details and not silhouette. So from the start, your future low poly will need a good amount of geometry to keep the shape of the silhouette.

If you want a clean low poly, you're gonna have to visualize topology and understand how your object should be constructed. The alternative is to go the polycruncher route, which is fine for non animated objects like rocks.

Also, i highly recommend looking into wrapit (plugin for 3d max) and topogun. They are far superior to zbrush and graphite tools imo.