Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Do the Nanosuit!

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Goeddy greentooth
Hi PCs!
This is gonna be my nanosuit.
Mutand League is over so i decidet to do something new. Well actualy i do this at work right now, its for a prototype we are working on. i have been allowed to post this here.

also i have no idea of character design, i just flow with the anatomy...

he will be realy massive, UT3-like. Styleguide is Scifi-fantasy, sort of UT3 meets The witcher, not that final-fantasy-asia-stuff.

I never realy did any hardsurface modeling, so this is gonna be hard.
Anyway CC is welcome, this has got to be beast!

current state: more armordifscrn1.jpg

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thread confuses me: are you doing the (crysis-)nanosuit, a ut3 bodyarmor or something for a fantasy game (some of the concepts look like fantasy)? also - both your nanosuit concepts and the nanosuit model itself are pretty close to the crysis one - while at the moment i don't see no wrong with that, if you want to release a game based on that it might be a good idea to step a little away from that design.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    its more a ut3-bodyarmor, merged with some middle-age armor.
    the nanosuit itself is the lowest layer, ontop of wich i´ll pack the real armor.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    out of curiosity, what kind of game are you working on and for what studio? if that's for production, I'd consider going much deeper into the concept first and making sure that those detailed nano-things underneath are really necessary to model so hi-res.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    its just a prototype we are doing cause the art department, wich is just me and 2 other guys, currently have no tasks.
    ts going to be one boss battle, simply one character vs one evil bossmonster + 1 environment. My studio is a german indi-developer wich you probably have never heard of, we usually do advertising and augmented reality-games.

But this prototype shall prove to future investors that we are capable of more than that.

The problem with the suit is that the concept is not realy finished, and the suit is the only thing that is definitly nailed down, so i start with that. Lucky me i currently have no real timelimit, and i am realy no concept artist, so im gonna iterate while modeling.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    as you are in Frankfurt and efreak is in Frankfurt as well the chances might not be too low that he might know your studio, however - i agree, that if you seriously want to pitch something you might consider putting more time into the concept - as right now it will just look like you did it, to do something or anything, which is never a real good base. If this is just for your personal fun to improve hardsurface skills, feel free to move on but i also think that a good concept foundation would help you more.
    If you are not much of a 2d concept artist maybe you could start using zbrush for 3d concepting, dynamesh is awesome for that.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    So we decidet to outsource the concept art, it should be done by tomorrow.
    i went on to build the muscle of the suit, since i got nothing else to do and i dont think they will change drasticly in the concept. the main features defining the suit, will be the hard, immovable parts i guess. And if not, atleast i did some hardsurface practise X)

The company is called empea. As i wrote before, right now all games we published are advertising games, and i am the only Modeling/Texture artist here.

Also the problem with the concepting is not that i would not pocess the skills to visualize them, but rather that i never realy got into character design, especially scifi is realy hard to figure out for me.

also lil update here:
    scrn2r.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so it has been some time i mostly spend waiting for the concepts to arrive, only to find out they are absolutely useless.

so after all i did that myself too.
    i dont know if this is readable to anyone, but it works good for me and im the only one who has to model by that :P
    conceptcomp.jpg
    also started blocking out the armor.
    scrn3i.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome, man; can't wait to see it finished!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    The nanosuit parts are looking pretty good.. the legs look off though. They look a bit too short. Keep up the good work.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    worked on the head today.
    scrn4a.jpg
    i must admit that i am realy have problems with this hard surface stuff.
    i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing_8ab0c971b93e5b46ff10f43addb58885.jpg
    but today i realy learned a lot while solving a multitude of problems.

also the boolean oparations dont seem to work with more complex meshes.
    i gues ill have to use zbrush, they seem to work there no matter how complex the mesh.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    daily progress: head done so far
    i figured out paintovers are a realy good way, if your stuck with the model and dont know how to progress.
    also thx ablaine, for the hint, legs are 10% longer now.
    scrn5.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    added some chest armor, also started the jetpack.
    scrn6.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    jetpack done, started armor.
    scrn7y.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    arms and hands done, tomorrow ill do the legs, wednesday ill do the skirt and final polishing.
    character should be done then so i can move on to the weapon, wich hopefully will be done till the end of the week too.
    scrn8.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    todays progress: legs done. tomorrow skirt, filling the gaps and polish.
    scrn9.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Digging the details! He looks pretty squat right now... like almost 4 and a half feet tall? His abdomen and quads look short. Probably where most of the effect is coming from.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm that realy is a problem. he is ment to be looking realy realy massive, but not small.
    i reduced the size of his hands, but apart from that there is realy not much i can do to fix this.
    anyway HP is done for now, maby ill add some smaller details here and there.
    plans have changed, next up is retopo and crazy baking action.
    bodyrender1hi.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions look better now I think. Maybe it was the angle of the shot? Really liking the detail :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    yeah that angle was a bit weird....
    anyway retopo is done, also baking oh his chest, arms, head and pants. only upper body armor left.
    this was realy anoying, lots of correction by hand had to be done.
    xnormal bake failed catastrophal so i had to do it in max, wich realy took its time.

if eveything goes as planed he should be done by then end of the next week.

oh and yeah he has less then 4K polys :P
    scrn91.jpg
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great! Also only 4k polys is awesome.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so while baking i often had problems with baking hard, round edges. i found no tutorials for this anywhere so i figured i´d do one myself to hopefully prevent others trying to get rid of this by baking (cause its nearly impossible in some cases).

1. THE PROBLEM AREA
    what you have here looks realy shitty if you look at it from the side,
    in the illustrations you can see what the normal usually looks like after the bake, what it should look like if the highpoly would be projected correctly (but it cant, cause it has to conform to the edgy shape of the lowpoly)
    and in the 3rd illustration how it will look like in the end.

2. THE NORMAL AFTER BAKING
    at the edge you can see this ,red marked, ugly U-shapes. you have to get rid of theese!

3. THE UV

4. MANUALY OVERPAINTED NORMALMAP
    this is what it should look like in the end. i always leave a slight ca. 1 pixel border, this bumps up the edge a bit.

5. THE RESULT

tut1f.jpg
    no matter how good you bake this, you will almost always have this U-thingies at one side of each round edge.

also note the post below, much better way to prevent this from actualy happening :P

||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    \/
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff! Cool stuff in the blog too. As for the normals in the last post. Check this out. I don't really like how you unwrapped that part. You could have tried to unwrap keeping the edges straight so it would be easier to modify the normal map. Even so it doesn't look really bad, once you get a diffuse on it it might not be that obvious.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    dafuck this is awesome!
    kinda stupid i see this now that i already did the bake and the hand-tweaking X)
    this was very usefull, i´ll definetly keep this in mind for futur hard surface stuff.
    as i said this is my first pure hard surface model, so im still learning^^

for the unwrapping i think this wouldnt have made such a huge difference in this case.
    i know many guys try to keep theyr uv´s as straight as possible, but i tend to leave them like they relaxed cause flattening them out sort of dissables handpainting the texture in photoshop, wich i often do.
    i usualy do the whole texture in photoshop, and only bring it to mudbox if i need projecting, or seamless stuff done.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so time to begin with the fun part :)
    baking done texture heavily WIP. im realy not sure with the colors, but after lots of experimenting i settled with this.
    scrn92.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! I have to say that the color for the metal parts are way 2 saturated. You might want to check cgtuts for the metal panel tut from racer445 and the knife tut(the texturing part) from Ben, or this one. If you look at those you'll get all the info you need to make it top notch. I think you should desaturate that blue and remember that the scratches take away the paint and they tend to be white. The scratches in your image are blueish. Try it and see how it looks. As for the gray things on the arms and body you might want to darken those and see how it looks. :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    yes dont worry :D im quiet familiar with metal texturing, but thx for the tut, im gonna read it anyway.
    i just feel more confi working on something colorfull. its sort of motivating cause it imideatly looks kinda "cool" although not like i want it to look like in the end, be but cool^^
    way more satisfying then hacking white splats onto a grey surface imo.

in the end all it takes to get it to a "real" level is desaturate and change the blendmode of the scratch layers.
    and he will ofc get some sort of writings on his stuff, color falling apart and metal rusting around the scratches.

and yeah i agree on the arms, i had them way darker, but it lacked contrast. so i drew in additional highlights, but then forgot to make them darker again X)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    read the tut, nothing that new for me there :P i just recently saw another tut on metal texturing. i cant recall where, but it was all about using the fillbucked to do the paint.
    and thats exactly what i did.

let me know what u think, and wich color fits him better (orwould fit him better, if you got any suggestions colorwise)
    scrn93.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    The yellow looks way better i think. The blue was far too... blue...
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    agree with the yellow, so i made it the default. i think the dude is done for now, next up is his weapon. to be sure i just made some more color variations.
    renderfin.jpg
    btw he hes ca. 3400 tris/verts 1024² gamerez textures applied here.

scrn94.jpg
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    I think as a color you should try a duller matte grey, you have to be aware if its for combat people dont want to be seen because they are wearing bright green. I would even maybe suggest some futuristic camo. Also the pants and waistband dont look defined enough and it probably needs more wrinkles if it is cloth.
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Borderlands-esque I LOVE IT!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    @Orangeknight,
    I think that style trumps "realism", especially for a character like this. He's obviously not a realistic character. Not to mention that real life knights wore bright colors all the time.
    I agree about the cloth, though. Needs more folds in the normal map - right now it looks like it could be made of wood.

I like the hazard-orange color variation best (bottom image).
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    its looking sweet - but i think its lacking an ass....
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    thx guys 4 all the usefull crits :)

@orangeknight
    about the camo, it is story-(and gameplay-)wise defined that he does not need to hide himself :P but i´ll try it anyway, could be too much detail, but could also maby look too cool to not take it^^

@dirigible
    yes, while texturing i kinda became blind to this and didnt see it. ill definitly sculpt and bake out some variations for his pants and see what fits best, they definitly are way too clean now.

that was originaly intendet, cause they should sort of look neutral so that any armor could fit on them, but now i baked this one in the hard way. so giving the pants some more love wont hurt.

@MephistonX
    haha thx i totaly didnt see that, but i think you are right. thx for pointing that out, i hope i can fix this with a bit of transformation in the lowpoly.

update with all this comin in tomorrow,

also can you guys suggest any futuristic sword reference?

i found some, but way too few to be realy usefull.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    started the sword, and addet more folds to his pants.
    also he has more ass now (not visible from this angle :P)

scrn95.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so sword is done.
    so this char is too, next up is the evil boss-crab hes gonna be fighting.
    btw the blue stringy stuff on the blade is moving, spent most of the time building that shader in unity.
    also 2 diffrent textures applied here.
    left is xoliul, right is unity
    scrn96.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    posed ´n shit!
    comp1sk.jpg
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Looks like a League of Legends champion.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    always more room for improvement, so he gets a new armor now :P
    scrn2n.jpg
    dont worry about the boots, was an experiment, but i still got the original harsurface thing.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    This looks great, although there are a few things to touch up on from what i can see:

Edges in the highpoly seem really tight in places, might be worth going through and loosening up your support edges in places.

Trouser folds look rather unnatural, i had trouble with this on my most recent character too, it's pretty tricky but if you play around with it some more and study drapery you should be able to improve vastly on it.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    yeah i kinda struggle with the support edges, never realy know how tight to set them.
    i pulled some out here and there, but still not realy confident about em.

and yeah folds :P always a struggle, i wanted to give him something a bit more stable.
    like yeans-cloth or something.

heres the colors:
    difscrn1.jpg