Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Road to the Academy of Art Spring Show - Tim Woody

Replies

• Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toxic929 polycounter lvl 8
    well still messing with this here and there. Getting the hang of Fibermesh. the Groomhairtoss has been my primary grooming tool however I tried it with long hair and its just a mangled mess! The feedback on this one was that this hairstyle doesnt quite work for his design. so working on long hair it is, however I like the facial hair.. just need to add stubble. comments critiques?

demon_hunter_wip_06_by_toxic929-d5htchn.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    There's something that is off with the facial hair as you currently have it. It reads more as a painted surface than hair. Should have a lot more color variation and you should be able to see some skin tones underneath ( or blue/greenish tinted skin). It also feels like a strange contrast between the fibermesh hair that you have there and that stubble ( and if it's a low poly sculpt, convert that fibermesh to poly planes :) )
    Otherwise, push those folds more, you're starting to get some interesting bunching around the boots ( although I would add more volume where it meets the boots). Bring up some folds by the loincloth and the hanging cloth by the hips and back. Start sculpting some wear and tear on the accessories :)

(oh. And thicken up the chest armor pieces, they look as thin as cloth now, but Im thinking you're doing more leather pieces for those?
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback Autarkis. Its hard to tell with the fibremesh the way it is.. especially zoomed out (as it enlarges each hair) but its mostly stubble with a mustache and thin goatee dealio thing.. Don Quixote kinda thing... but I'm def keeping this in mind for when I send the curves out to maya to render. it will have alot more color variation then but can you convert out the hair to textured poly plane alphas?

Can you elaborate on "where it meets the boots"? I really do gotta get a lil more depth with the folds and yeha I shall thicken the armor thank you again!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh but no.. going to leave the leather pieces for his chest armor as is.. just thicken it
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not too sure about capturing alpha details with fibermesh. I've only tried it a few times and honestly, i only do it with very little fibers ( mostly guides to create poly planes in maya with it and then I do a quick paint effects hair base to get me close to whatever result I want). Oh, and stubble usually isn't uniform like that.

For the pants meeting the boots, unless your pants are tight across the skin, or are more like cropped pants that would end mid way through the calf, the cloth itself will bunch up right before it tucks into the boot. As you have it it looks like it's looser under the knee of your character but I would have it gain more volume right as it gets tucked into it.