Home Technical Talk

High Pass Texture in Max - How do I setup the Material to change the colour?

Man there's some shit hot artists on here, Im hoping for help with this question and post my own levels and art in upcoming posts.

I knew of a custom shader that was able to change the colour in the texture if the texture was High passed in photoshop.

Im completing an Art Test (so i can use custom shaders like Xoliul) and I dont know how to setup a 3D Max shader to duplicate the same effect. Any ideas?

1.So I created a texture in Photoshop
2.Used the High Pass Filter set at 250
3. Applied texture in 3D Max

Expected Results:
Should be able to pick a colour in the Max shader which should change the colour of the texture on the model.

CONTAINER_HIGHpASS.jpg

Replies

• commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    What does the high pass filter have to do with tinting? To tint an object you should create a tint mask to control the color being multiplied over the texture. You can use a simple multiply color in the material editor but that sucks because it doesnt allow HDR colors. I guess you could tweak its output settings before multiplying which might fix that issue.

Either way its probably not going to work in the viewports unless the new viewport renderer is a lot better at that kind of stuff.
  • Bipmatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure of the exact technicalities of why the texture needed to be high passed first but it meant we didnt have to create an additional tint mask for each model.
    A tint mask sounds good, I assume I can hide it in the diffuse's alpha channel in a TGA.
    To which slot do I add it in Max's material editor and set it up, tried googling multiply colour and tint masks in Max but it led me to ask you for explanation. thanks man.
  • Bipmatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keen, Its surprising that ive never ventured away from the compact viewport of the material editor. Once in slate mode its very intuitive on what you suggested and Ive found the solution. I havent used slate mode since Maya a long time ago.