Home Technical Talk

multimap painting in mudbox

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I wanted to ask if is possible , and in case how , to import two objs in mudbox and paint with stencil projection on both , but in order to have two separate textures for both , that will share the seams ... ???

Replies

• gray
    you need to lay out your uv's for each object in "multiple uv tiles". look at the bottom picture and text.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/mudbox/help2010/files/WS1a9193826455f5ff4e421d7d11bf108001d-5967.htm

if you want to paint on multiple objects that have the same material with each object having its own texture. setup multi uv tiles, assign the same material to all the objects, assign a different texture to each object. paint away...
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    this is also working if you use two materials..
    there is no need to move the uvs... its a new feature scince mud 2011 i think...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-oWC_QObE"]mudbox paint across different shader and objects.. - YouTube[/ame]
  • gray
    oglu wrote: »
    this is also working if you use two materials..

yea you can do it like that also. i'm not sure from the op what NAIMA is trying to do. if you want one material with multiple objects set up multi-uv tiles. if you want multiple objects each with a different material then you can just start painting. no special setup is needed for that.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Actually I wanted to paint one object that had multiple textures and so different uvs but wanted it to look seamless... somehow I dunno why I like the the mudbox painting but I find extremely ankward , on the other side I do not know nothing of zbrush painting yet and seems complicated but may be is better?
  • gray
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Actually I wanted to paint one object that had multiple textures and so different uvs but wanted it to look seamless...

in that case fallow the directions in my first post. put your uv tiles in as many of the 1/1 uv space squares as shown in the docs. assign a texture and it will automatically make all your maps and put them in your project for you

you should read the mudbox paint docs to understand the workflow and interface. imo its probably the most straightforward 3d paint interface i have seen if your use to working with max or maya. but if your new to 3d paint you should definitely try a few programs, zbrush, bodypaint, 3dcoat, mari etc... i spend most of my time sculpting and pulling maps so to have the paint tools right there its perfect. and it has all the essential tools and functions i need. it does take a few days to get use to it tho.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What you find best for painting on the model and have also a good relation with photoshop instruments? 3dcoat , mudbox or Zbrush?

I work so far with :

3dsmax

I sculpt with zbrush ( tough still a newbie to it )

I bake normals with xnormal ( totally new here but learning and startingto appreciate much )

I paint seams on mudbox but sometimes it's annoying when it paints over the other sides or blurres out the edges of the area etc ...
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    with the up arrow key you are able to unload a texture tile... so it wont be painted...
    you have to turn off the giga texel engine to use it...

and there is a angle based masking option in the brush settings...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebPTCE0Nv4M"]mudbox angle based masking - YouTube[/ame]

i use mud all the time for painting...
    photoshop is only my finishing app...

also take a look at chistophe´s tutorial...
    http://vimeo.com/33962304

• WarrenM
    OK, old thread, I know. BUT ... it's the right topic so here we go.

I'm unclear on how to get Mudbox set up so that I can paint on a mesh where the UVs are offset along the U vector in the UV channel. It seems like I have to move all the islands back to the 0-1 space before I can paint on them. That can't be right ... can it? I don't want to have to export special low poly meshes just to paint in Mudbox but if I've offset some islands for normal map baking it seems like I'll have to at this point.

Can anyone shed some light on this? It feels, in my gut, like it should "just work".