Home Contests & Challenges Archives

*tapping the mic* This thing on? What happened to the arena entries?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I'm looking for feedback on the contest as it seems the arenas either a.) Are being finished in the 11th hour or b.) were too much of an undertaking for people to finish what they started.

What's happened? Thoughts?

Replies

• myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Talking to quite a few guys - the theme didn't appeal all that much. I don't think many people were too aware of Mutant League (I wasn't but I still had a go) and also the whole low poly thing put some others off (though frankly the actual specs aren't that lowpoly at all!
    Its also quite hard to find good reference of the Mutant League series/ game.
    Personally I'd try and move away from references to movies/ games and let people be a little more creative, a lot of artists don't like following an idea already set. (Though again - I don't think the competition was too constrained though I know some people thought it was).
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Could also be because of the holidays sort of in the middle of everything, but I was wondering the same thing!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah next go at a Challenge will be something more open for you lot, then we'll come back to making art for existing game ideas (like Fighter games, Mutant League, etc.)
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    The Holidays did definitely make it harder to participate though, I lost a full 2 weeks to a family vacation, I would've have been more than done by now.

Although, I was surprised by the number of people who said they had never heard of Mutant League, it must just be a younger number of forum-goers on Polycount these days.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
    I'm still working on my stadium, and yea the holidays did take a good chunk of time.