Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK 47 Redux

I made an AK 47 model a year ago and at the time I was pretty happy with the result but looking back now I see it's pretty poor. I've set out to improve it to help me get better at working with specular maps.

This is what the original looked like: (4334 Triangles)
textureprog2.jpg

This is what my new version looks like with 2000 less triangles, new uvw coordinates, rebaked normals and I'm still working on the textures.
redux2.jpg

I welcome all feedback on my textures, specular especially since that's where I'm looking to improve. I know theres a little switch attachment missing on the side, I'll add that shortly.

Replies

• The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    to me it looks almost too noisy. you have details in the normal map that seem to get washed out. Personally I like the direction you were taking with the original one. Maybe try toning down the intensity of the grim and scratches on the new one. You had some edge wear in your original and looks almost like you took that away in the new one. The texturing on the receiver also looks cloudy and random as opposed to a dirty worn metal from too much use. Think about where dirt and scratches would really accumulate.

Also Ak-47 stocks are most of the time laminated wood. So what you had the first time looks more accurate since the wood will me mostly smooth and have a bit of a shine to it with the exception of some gouges from heavy use. Hope this helps!