Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Skull Mech

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
Hey just wanted to post a little personal project I started for fun after Uncharted 3. Its based off a Creature Box concept, based in the Ratchet and Clank universe. Wanted to do something different then what I was doing at work, something very stylized and not an environment ha.

I initially made some areas incorrectly from the concept and fixed them once they were pointed out but didn't actually like the way they looked and changed them back haha. So a few liberty's were taken.

-Anthony

avaccaroinsommech01.jpg
avaccaroinsommech02.jpg

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL fail, wrong forum :P IM such a Polycount noob.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    A "mistake"... Suuuuuuurrree! :)

Cool stuff, dig the proportions. Spec is a meh/nonexistent. Would love to see this guy animated.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm curious, are you using displacement or something? The cannons at the top look to have those black indentations modelled in, but it doesn't appear so on the wires. Can't be normal maps either, cause its affecting the silhouette...

How many tris?
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job! I love the colors! I also like the patches of variation in color in the base and head.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, i would tweak the angle of the shot tho, the back leg is at a bad tangent with the front and gets a bit cluttered
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, really nice work.

Some ideas your way:
    Autocon_Feed.gif
    (it's a gif, might be a tad slow to load)

1) "Eyes" - with mechanical designs things just sticked into each other hardly work. You don't find that in real life so it feels off. I think it could use a pair of eye sockets.

2) edge highlights - those a really good for defining metal shapes. And it's not a crime to even put some into the diffuse. You can even paint in some top-down lighting to make it pop a bit more.

3) some more spec would be nice

4) color - for a cartoony model it's could use some saturation and colors overall. I might've gone a tad over the top on the overpaint with those lights on the canons, but they could be useful gameplay-wise and show different attack states for example.

if you add a cool shooting effect and light it accordingly you'll get a killer picture man.

Best of luck and once again really solid work so far.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work man, but I have to agree with d1ver. Especially on the use of color and spec.
    And I would also suggest trying out some other lighting as well; it's really not doing your model justice.

Are you planning on animating this sexy beast as well? You know, for the lulz of it. :)
    Also, texture sheets; pretty plez?
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This is amazing, I have a new desktop background! I love what you did with the texture!

+1 for texture sheets.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    aw cooL!k kick ass!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    love this man, great job! Very TF2-esque texture work, +2 for sheets :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Some great points d1ver.

Missing sockets on the eyes were due to me forgetting to turn the alpha on for the eyes. Wanted too keep the spec/edge highlights sublet but I bumped them up a bit so its not too matte. I kept the simple color pallet from the concept, I liked the clear/simple colors. Fit with the style. Tried adding some other colors but I never got anything I really liked. If someone knows some areas/some colors that would make this so much better I am willing to hear you out. But for the most part I am happy with the simpler colors.

@Andres - What your seeing is just an optical illusion of modeled geo. Its just the normal map mixed with the high contrast of the black inner areas and the white outer areas. It makes the white appear to bleed out from the black areas. Its just an illusion your eyes perceive because its not actually changing the silhouette at all :)

I actually do have this guy animated a bit. I couldn't get Marmoset's animation stuff to ever work so I gave up and my free trail ends today at work so I wont be able to do further tests. Oh well, next time :) Not to mention I am no animator and I couldn't get the leg IK's to properly work the way I would expect them too. Got a pretty sweet lazer beam thing with the lense flairs in Marmorset though, breaks if you rotate but works awesome for this shot :)

Model Stats - 14.2k tris Here are the flats too, I would rather not show them cuz there horrible looking and I did so many stupid things. Like why in the world did I uniquely unwrap all 5 teeth!?! my god! ha

-Anthony

avaccaroinsommech1.jpg
    avaccaroinsommechflats.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    omggg that is freaking cool!!!!! That palette-knife sort of texturing looks really great, and I love the head area with the eye material and pwetty lights hehe xD

EDIT: platform is also very fitting haha
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Turned out great! My only crit was about the tangency with the legs in the first presentation shots but your new one fixed it.

Great job!
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Nice one! I think you done a smashing job considering the challenging design and the tricky concept that you worked from at the start.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha, adorable.

I dislike the use of the spec though, it doesn't seem to be conveying much information that's not already in the diffuse. Would like to see the diffuse a bit darker, the spec a lot brighter, and more going on in there.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon wrote: »
    @Andres - What your seeing is just an optical illusion of modeled geo. Its just the normal map mixed with the high contrast of the black inner areas and the white outer areas. It makes the white appear to bleed out from the black areas. Its just an illusion your eyes perceive because its not actually changing the silhouette at all :)

yea, i was wondering the same as Andreas when i looked closer.

it doest look like an illusion when magnified, is that a selection clipping ?

H2Mpt.jpg

however i thought you used two cylinders, one dark inside and one outside with the insets masked out in alpha.

anyways, good work. the material separation needs more work though.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    MM wrote: »
    however i thought you used two cylinders, one dark inside and one outside with the insets masked out in alpha.

Hmm, that's actually a very clever idea, I don't think I've seen anyone do that specifically, before. I wouldn't think it's worth it to add an unnecessary alpha, as opposed to the 100-200 tris it might take to model it out on both sides?

Anyways, this is really great work Anthony, it immediately gives off a ratchet and clank vibe. The guys at naughty dog won't fire you for spending all your free time working on Insomniac concepts? Hehe.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm yeah now that I look at it, it dose appear that it isnt just an optical illusion. Not sure how its happening as I have nothing on there beyond a normal map. Seems it is something within Marmoset.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Really awesome work man, lovely style too!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Razgriz wrote: »
    Hmm, that's actually a very clever idea, I don't think I've seen anyone do that specifically, before. I wouldn't think it's worth it to add an unnecessary alpha, as opposed to the 100-200 tris it might take to model it out on both sides?

Anyways, this is really great work Anthony, it immediately gives off a ratchet and clank vibe. The guys at naughty dog won't fire you for spending all your free time working on Insomniac concepts? Hehe.

You could just delete the geometry in those places and have a cylinder under it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Razgriz wrote: »

Using alpha to save 100-200 tris is pretty much always a terrible idea. You're adding a more complex shader and effectively another map's worth of memory for what amounts to a negligible (or more likely, negative) change in rendering performance.

I'm really digging the fat, square-brush paintjob, reminds me of the texture work in TF2 and it looks very good on this kind of pulpy sci-fi.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Tangency-spangency. It's awesome man! Love the concepts those dudes bang out. Do up a sweet base to match though.
  • pg7262
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the texture work. great job!