Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

chun li_first character_[WIP]

Replies

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    ah! i got it now :) thanks for that advice, will keep that in mind especially for any future zbrushing i may do
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starting to look nice:) i still say your armpits are too high making the arm feel very thin. The depth of your lats are good but they dont' go down far enough. Theres also a secondary hit you need on the arc of the back where you hit the bottom of the scapula
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just came across this site image which hopefully should help you with back muscles http://www.reybustos.com/03ra/Sarah_mx.htm
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    You're definitely making good progress, but there are a few things that stick out to me still.
    -She seems to kind of be missing her ribcage. Even if you're going for a slimmer upper body I think her ribcage could stand to have a bit more volume, and definition. Maybe the (somewhat odd) way the breasts sit on her chest is throwing me off too, but to me her ribcage seems a bit lacking. On a related note, some definition in the stomach would probably not hurt either.
    -Her butt looks a bit flat considering how thick her thighs are.
    -I think you could push the shapes of her lower legs quite a lot further. Her calves look about the right size, but I think the part below, above the heel, should be a little narrower in width, and I think her kneepits should be a little more defined. Right now I think the lower legs are just a tiny bit shapeless, it's especially noticeable from the rear 3/4 view.

All in all I think things are looking good, and I'm really enjoying seeing your progress. :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikosan & Jigsaw: thanks so much for the continuing great advice :)

- had a go at making a ribcage shape
    - made the leg part narrower below the calf
    - changed geo around the chest, tried to make the breast sit better on the chest Jigsaw: is this better?
    - tried to get a better breast shape, like in the ref pic
    - made the bottom stick out a little more, more prominent bottom crease
    - played with the shoulders
    - changed the armipits (lowered) more and toyed with the geo very slightly

(as usual, its all untidy still while i rough it out to achieve advised better shape)

Ikosan: when you say 'second hit', do mean just moving current geo, or adding more geo?

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update, still playing around with the shoulders and ribcage as and when i can (sneaking in a few minutes here and there at work time sometimes..:))..
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    What I do to keep myself motivated is juggle multiple prodjects. and plus you can come back to projects with fresh eyes.
  • RPTGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Vavavoom, keep up the progress!
    I have had a little tweak using the liquify tool in PS (so excuse the lack of tightness), just to see how tweaking the leg, ribcage and pelvic area slightly would help get some more character in to her sillouette. Have a look, and if its of any help, cool :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RJBonner: Thanks for the advice, actually, i've been itching to get started on these 2;

projs.jpg

The chinese dragon would be a great chance to have a go at a simpler (simpler than human form, maybe) and try a really bold colourful model for learning texturing later. And guybrush, well, a legendry game character! also, i hated the new design of him in later games after Monkey Island II.

RPTGB: Thanks for the paintover:)

am definately gonna work on defining the legs more a.s.a.p. and gonna edge the ribcage/shoulders back slightly to try and match the ref pose more.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..just gotta be patient :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very small tweaks here and there, another pass at the posture (keeping ear-heel alignment) with more arch, prominent hip bone, tried to do more with legs.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Legs are starting to look a lot shapelier. Watch out for crooked edge loops though, and don't forget about the curvature of the inside of the legs either.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jigsaw :)

yeah, still plenty of crooked edgeloops while im roughing it out to get that 'perfect' shape :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realized her bottom was way too high, so lowered it..
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another play at getting a better leg shape..better definition..
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    played around on my day off..

perspective:
    3606.jpg

orthoGRAPHIC:
    ortho7.jpg

perspective:
    angle3.jpg

silhouette:
    sil3.jpg

other than that,
    i feel i cannot do much more with the body now except maybe move existing geo around slightly, so i'm happy to call it finished adding any more geometry. just tidy up some loops here and there and i guess thats it.

thoughts, comments, crits still really appreciated :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after spending such a long time on the body, i had another look at the head and found it was missing important edgeloops which i had missed earlier..

new:
    head8m.jpg

before:
    headot.jpg

i think the lines flow much better in the new head, and should fit with the body better now to give the whole thing a nicer flow.

bod8.jpg
  • Doubles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would really take it into ZBrush or Mudbox and edit the shapes. Right now its decent, but imo its faster and efficient to do this with a sculpting program. If you don't plan to have high poly, just this resolution, even then a retopoligized version of a sophisticated sculpt would be better. At a higher subdiv level you could really get those low frequency shapes right, and afterwards bounce out the simplification of them at retop phase.
  • ReviloRezlab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking interesting, I'm looking forward to the outcome.