Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinatown UDK Environment

This was my first time using UDK and this project is for my Environment Production module in my second year Games Art course at Teesside University in England.

I had other modules on the go and this got left behind so I ended up doing it all in about 25 days. The deadline is tomorrow and I have written work/files to sort out so I have to call this done for the assignment. I was quite inspired by Mystry10's Bombay scene in the showcase forum and wanted to try something similar but with a different slant. I actually went an visted the chinatown district in Manchester for reference photos and textures which was interesting. Anyway, enough rambling here's my beauty shot:

environmentdonemaybe.jpg

All my own assets and textures modeled in Max, some Mudbox Sculpting, photoshop for textures. Final shot taken in UDK. It's a playable environment with collisions and whatnot.

I'd love some feedback to help improve and I might use your comments to help write my report!

Here's a lighting only shot and some of my rough initial concepts:
lightingconcepts.jpg

Replies

• Azreality
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how authentic you want to make your China town... but I don't think they have English graffiti on walls. Also those red bricks under it look too clean for the rest of the scene.

Other than that... I like the mood and feel of the scene. Asian towns are fun to use for UDK environments!

/cheers
  • JamesClarke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Well I have a Korean shop in there so I'm not too fussed. I ended up going down the route of Chinatown meaning a small concentrated population of Chinese people within a none Chinese city, like districts in major UK and US cities so that would explain the grafiti :D. Also the red bricks were intended to be tiles but your the second person to think they're bricks!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Wing Lung Bank ltd. doesn't look like a very respectable place.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    I don't know whether it was your intention, but it looks like a miniature from one of those claymation movies, and I don't know why. My best guess is a weird FOV or camera angle, but if you haven't messed with that then maybe change that or the scale of the objects and their relative positions. It may be the "square" that is throwing me off (read - the fountain and the area around the fountain). I don't know, otherwise the scene looks fine.
  • JamesClarke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't really see it myself but thanks for the comment. The FOV is normal but I can try moving the camera position.

If anyone has any other suggestions to make it look better let me know, even though I'm calling it done for my assignment I'd like to improve it for my portfolio.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the overall mood of the scene, but I would actually add a bit more graffiti and some litter on the ground, the buildings look great but the rest of the scene seems a bit too clean in comparison.

It also looks like the glowing orbs that are closest to the camera aren't actually attached to anything.
  • JamesClarke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex, I completely agree, it does need more dirt and rubbish but unfortunately I didn't have time with the deadline I had but I will add more to it for my portfolio!

I decided to apply for the Blitz open day with this so I put all my textures together, here they are:

envirotextures.jpg