Home Technical Talk

Zbrush problem transferring uvmap data with uvmaster

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi , I was working on a polymodel and I carved out a shape , but then I realized that I could make a nicer work using an alpha mask directly from photoshop so for this I needed the model itself to have a base uvmapping ... so I exported themodel in obj imported in 3dsmax ( the lower res of course ) then uvmapped there and reexported without changing any vertex or anythingelse ... when I import under the lowest res tough there is no pop up window saying you want to transfer detail data etc ...
so to check if it did import I check the uvmapping using uvmaster , I then flatten the clone uvmap and I see that it has not at all imported anything or at least not the uvmap , so I do import the obj again but this time in place of the clone and this time takes the uvmapping ... I then check the uvs and are fine apart that are flipped ( dunno how to unflip ? ) anyway then I copy the uvs and I paste in the original model mesh and this is the result :

1 fine result on clone 2 bad result on the actual model , the thing is that after pasting I could flatten the uvmap of the original mdel too to see that the uvmap is fine , but not the show that looks like blocks ...

why that and how can I solve this or is there any other simplier direct way to import the uvmap in the model ?

73910965.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you import the obj with new UVs and no message pops up, there's a very good chance it already updated the UVs with no need to transfer anything. No message is a sign things went smoothly.

You can use Tools: UVMap: MorphUVs to check them quickly without having to bother with UV Master
    ( dunno how to unflip ?
    Also under Tools: UVMap

Edit:
    If this is related to that UV Master trick I was talking about earlier, it wasn't for transferring UVs (since it just copies them from it's clone), but rather it takes an existing set of UVs and lets you edit them inside of zbrush.

A standard import is all it should take to transfer a new set of UVs to a mesh
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    but when I do this without a message popping up and then check the uvs in the uvmaster are all wrong , so its like it didn't import anything ....

here is the small obj ...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MNI424JJ
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Don't check with UV Master, check with UV Morph. I'm not even sure if UV Master will let you flatten without it first creating it's own UVs
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    the uvmap is ok only after I do paste on uvmaster and back to the original mesh but still it looks messed :o .....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What happens when you leave UV Master out of the workflow altogether?

Create a simple shape. Give it UVs. Export it, change the UVs. Reimport it.