Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PSC 'box art' image

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
howdy folks, I'm working on a promo graphic for Pineapple Smash Crew and I'd really like some feedback from the 2d-inclined

here's the progress:
Merc_wip01_rooster.jpg

the thing that bugs me the most at this stage is the hands.. I do want them to be boxy shaped, but I don't feel the finger positions/angles look natural. But apart from that, any kind of crits, ideas, whatever would be appreciated.

for character ref:

manmodel.jpg

cheers!
-rich

Replies

• Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Hey rich! the whole image is pretty awesome! but what will the image be used for? in my opinion you should probably sketch a few really rough images to get an interesting composition as this image feels like part of a bigger image imo. I really think you could get a far more interesting composition going on for a promo image!

But either way its suparrr nice :) I had a go at touching those fingers! hope it helps.

psc02.jpg

best of luck with everything buddy! the game is looking awesome!
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    got a wee bit inspired by your lil guy and did a quick sketch! hope you dont mind!

psc04.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Oh man that's awesome, yeah I like that a lot, thanks! Composition wise, I'm kind of planning to crop it to his upper half next to the logo, I'll do a mockup ASAP to see if it works how I imagine.

Cheers!

Ps awesome sketch too :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think it would be cool if you were to follow older kinds of box art, like these:
    gp91-cv4.jpgDoom-boxart.jpgtmnt-cover.jpg

by making it really busy and showing pretty much all the game content, so something like your 4 dudes in seperate fights, several aliens, a couple of explosions and a rocket and a grenade still in flight. Basically saying "this is what the game has to offer".
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    here's a mockup of it with a logo:
    Merc_wip02_rooster.jpg

now I'm kinda having problems with a decent face/expression..
    hmm!
  • Nix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe go the Megaman route and make the face like a realistically drawn tough guy with a big facial expression? :P (although still retaining a blocky shape, of course)

Really great stuff, love the different textures.