Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fur Slips

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I hope to get sugestions and feedback , mostly help in my first undertaking of something "characterlike" for a armour set in skyrim :p ....

Ofc the theme is Conan fur Slips ....

Hi here is an update of the fur slips , what do you think ? Any sugestion critique is welcome ..... like aethe block pieces good or you would have done differently?

I started from boxmodeling the whole stuff and then have some separate pieces , I guess probably will have to redo after a from scratch low poly over the high unless I could use the low one but I not sure .....

furslips.jpg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like a good start, thats how I would go about creating a base mesh. I always create a new low over my high, it just always ends up cleaner, and with a better polycount.

Anyways, I don't see a problem with it at all, just watch your proportions. his leather groin piece ( XD ) is wider and the hexagon-piece is thinner than what you have started with. Def. fix any proportion issues before going any further, if you want to keep it 1-to-1 that is.

good luck! :)
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    I love how we start with a crotch shot. Nothing like some man junk to start off my day.
    What shrew said as well.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe thanks ... I would like sugestions and feedback on How to procede on this , you know it's the first time I am using Zbrush after my statue and the other circlet so I need lot of tips and tricks :) ...

Been reading some tutorials around but I am not expert at all , The idea was to procede from a box modeled zbrush prepared base and then import in Zbrush , so the base model does have some crease on edges , double edges and stuff to "tell" zbrush to not smooth too much or have more details in some areas I want to sculpt more in detail , So I guess is not really usable for a low poly model , considering that I also want to rig and skin it I guess it woudl be better to have a certain polyflow but also cut some polygons out after as the actual base for Zbrush is made so that has only quads ....

Here is a picture of the base model in 3dsmax ... Anything to fix and or change befoure go in Zbrush?

viewsa.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems like a fairly good base mesh to me, I wouldn't be afraid to leave out poly's where they can't be seen (this won't matter of course if you're going to retopo when the high poly is done). I think the main rules for base meshes are: 1. avoid tris 2. equal distribution of tris.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Its a pretty good base mesh, the thing I found to watch out for in making accessories for character, is to have equal quad distribution, especially if your going to retopo it later, It helps in maintaining equal detail throughout the mesh and also helps from having wasted polys when getting higher in subdivisions trying to get the same amount of details in areas that that have more stretched quads. Keep going its coming along very well.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here another wip picture , what you think how's coming?

wipwf.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is another Update on the Wip Fur slips ...

Comment , sugestions and opinions are welcome ....

uodate.jpg
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool belt and straps brah. Stitches don't really read like stitches. Tale a look at these for example:

6a0120a4dc7abc970b0120a626138c970b-500pi
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hello thanks a lot for the comment :) ....
    about the stitches , I actually was trying to follow the reference image and I noticed that they do not "stitch" anything , they seem quite placed there for "cool" effect rather than functionality but I may be wrong ...

if anyway I want to make them better and more realistic how shoul I dothem ? I mean should I place between them a crease line vertical? or do somethng else?
    the way I did them was by copying on a alpha the shape of the stitches on the reference and then drag drop them on the model as a mask , thne I inflated back -1 with the balloon inflat then reeinflated out with 2 out again with balloon inflat , then I used some hpolish over and smoothing around ....

I am still very new to zbrush modeling and I understand and I feel that for making nice things you need a lot , really a lot of knowledge and mastering of techniques that so far I do not have and I try to guess out solutions ormake things probably just by trial and error or by attempting to make all by hand when probably there are better tools or solutions insize Zbrush ...

as for the back I have no idea how is made , I checked in the movie and got a picture but weirdly it made no sense , like a belt closure with no begin or end , it was not much clear so I did guess out a bit from what I saw and a bit making it up ... But I guess is not a big deal , I am not making a 100% reconstruction to showcase the movie but to be played right?

wipj.jpg

wip2wr.jpg

One last thing is that I am not sure if I made an error and did not enough wide the leather/metal stripes that keep the central plaque with the dragonswan symbol , may be I should have done larger?

updae2.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you're wanting to be super-accurate, the codpiece is quite a bit wider in the original photo. Once you get that right, you'll be able to adjust the proportions of everything else appropriately.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What is the Codpiece?
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for stitches - I'd say make them separate mesh, and when they look cool just sculpt leather deformation accordingly to them. That's how I'd do it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    but if I do like 10 stitches vertically how do I do to make it adapt to the mesh?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what do you mean Naima... Manually I guess. Or paint them on surface in max maybe. Not sure how to do it in zbrush, don't use it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ah yeh I understand what you mean , but it's for a mod for Skyrim , I am not pretending to make a 100% perfect and I doubt that detail would be captured much in the low poly I think , so I will try to give more volume in the texture itself ...

here is the Final High poly version ...

updae3.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    NAIMA wrote: »
    What is the Codpiece?
    The bit that covers his..uh.. cods?