Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello.

Hi, this is a sword that I am currently working on. I've got it UV'd and everything, but I can't seem to get down metal textures. I've always had some serious trouble with them, and usually ended up cheaping my way out and using procedurals via Blender (Blech.)
I'm a bit tired of using procedurals, and I've recently started photosourcing. I've tried a couple photosourced metal textures from around the net, and to no avail, can't seem to get the right feel for it.
Is there any tutorials, or tips, that any of you would like to share to help me improve my ability to start texturing metallic objects? It's a huge challenge for me, as I can't rightly grasp the concept of it.

Here's a picture of the sword. It's more-or-less practice, and I'm a blade enthusiast of sorts.
Though the blade's concept isn't 100% mine, I was inspired by BHVampire-BH on DevArt which, they apparently got it from iron-fox's sword designs. I simply took some artistic creativity to it.

Any feedback and help is appreciated.
(as a side-note, I believe the polycount is just under 600 on this. I haven't been modelling for no more than a few months total, it seems a bit much imo.)
sometypeofsword.jpg

Replies