Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UDK) Tibetan Monastery (Architectural School Work)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone,

first, I wish you a merry Christmas and soon a happy new year.:santa:

I want to show you my project (He is not entirely finished) for my CG graduation at the Haute Ecole Albert Jacquard in Belgium.
And if possible, have your opinion to improve my work and my workflow.

Like the title said, it's a Tibetan Monastery with snow ect.
My inspiration source are photography from real Tibetan temple but also games like Uncharted 2. (The best game of all times :))

There is still 2 or 3 texture to do.
This is my first big and complete project with UDK.

In advance, thanks for your comments and sorry for my poor English.

Capture01.PNGCapture02.PNGCapture03.PNGCapture04.PNGCapture05.PNGCapture06.PNGCapture07.PNG

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool, some nice texture work overall! My biggest crits would be to work on lighting and character. For lighting, I can't see much shadow in your environment, try to push the contrast between those and your lit areas like the torches more.

B001JKTC9A.04.lg.jpg
    PelicanInn_Uncharted3.jpg

In terms of character, everything is too straight and perfect right now, especially around the roof trims. Even if it's not meant to be abandoned or ruined some of the walls could be sagging under the constant snow fall or corners might be a little rougher etc. If you've got the budget, use some extra verts to break the shapes up a little more. You could try adding a few individual bricks at edges to get that as well.

2795032000_4f848a9e7d_z.jpg
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really interesting i already feel the atmosphere! keep it up.
  • Dolmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dolmen polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,

thanks for your comments,

actually I have work a little more on the atmosphere.
    And i have also add more resolution on the corner to do like the photo post by S2Engine.
    Today i will try to improve the metal objects like Stupa and hind and add a few individual bricks.

Thanks for your help.

Good day at all.

WIP
    Capture08.PNG
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with S2Engine, the lighting needs some work. It's unclear if it's a night or a day scene, as the sky is so dark yet the foreground is lit as if by daylight. play around with additional light sources that could be used to hint at areas of interest in the scene. for example, those torches are good, they could be used to draw the eye up towards the central doorway. but they cast hardly any light on their surroundings.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Perhaps changing the fog, light colour or Post Process Colour Grading to be a bit more artistic might bring the scene out a bit more?
    As lets be honest, a cold, snow-ridden, dim day in the real world can be pretty grim.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Dolmen, the atmosphere is definitely improving. SirCalalot has a good point, if the purpose of the piece is more to show a glim mood, then lighting could be low contrast, and compensated for in post processing. Here's some nice mountain atmosphere, not sure if it's quite what you're after but worth a look.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXl3z_Zcyck&sns=em"]Rock and Snow Up Vector Blending Demo Part 2 (UDK) - YouTube[/ame]