Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Environment Art - Lost Island WIP

Ignoto
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
Hi all, This is my first UDK Environment.
I have built everything from scketch using PS, Maya, Zbrush, Pixplant, and UDK.

The main goal has been to learn the basics that covers a playable environment with today´s quality estandards, or at least the most i could get from UDK with DX9.
Secondaries are to develop workflows that end in UDK content, undestand UDK and videogame art; and make something like a"decent" demo-reel.

The map itself is really small. One small island (the main) surrounded by other far islands.
To expand the island space, I designed a system of caverns that end at one small cenote.

This proyect still WIP but is in the final stage, this is why I decided to post some screenshots and get ideas on finishing touches.

The cool part is that in this proyect I used a lot Maya, PS, Zbrush, so I keep practicing and even I learn a lot of new stuff, while I were learning how to use UDK

So, commentaries and critics are all welcome.

Exteriors:

highresscreenshot00000.jpg

highresscreenshot00001.jpg

highresscreenshot00002a.jpg

Into the cave ...

highresscreenshot00003.jpg

highresscreenshot00006.jpg

highresscreenshot00007.jpg

Going deep into ..

highresscreenshot00009.jpg

Arriving to the cave main room.

highresscreenshot00011.jpg

highresscreenshot00014.jpg

highresscreenshot00016.jpg

Cenote and water flows and other fx

highresscreenshot00017.jpg

highresscreenshot00020.jpg

highresscreenshot00018.jpg

highresscreenshot00019.jpg

General view from under waterfall

highresscreenshot00021.jpg

Hope you like it!, and it serves as inspiration, too.
And if you could help me with ideas (like: may need something here better, or a light there, .. or whatever), will be very apreciated !!

Replies

• Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if it was your intention but I cannot click on the pictures to actually see them. Looks promising
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    Howl wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was your intention but I cannot click on the pictures to actually see them. Looks promising

Fixed!
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    I think that now everybody can see the pics, or not??
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    really like the lighting, never really been a big fan of extra glossy rocks, but everything else looks pretty good, keep it up.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    yep, we can see them all ^^ nice cave you got there; i do see lots of texture stretching on the rock walls, perhaps something to look into?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    the inside of the cave looks really good, the outside i believe needs some slight work.

you don't have a matching ground texture blending with your grass meshes, or I think you should completely remove your current grass texture (to produce this look: http://www.capecodphotoalbum.com/swanriverdunes.jpg ). I also think the grass looks too dark and saturated, i'm not sure if you have reference you're following, but dune/sand grass is usually more desaturated/yellow toned.
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    really like the lighting, never really been a big fan of extra glossy rocks, but everything else looks pretty good, keep it up.

Well it was done with the intention to add some extra feel of humidity into the cave, may I need to reduce gloss.
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    yep, we can see them all ^^ nice cave you got there; i do see lots of texture stretching on the rock walls, perhaps something to look into?

Yeap, May be for a warning importing the mesh into UDK, it tells me That the number of imported verted exceed 25% of the expected imported vertex It have a lot (I don´t know why), I check the original mesh in maya and the UV is OK, so that´s everything I got.
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    snow wrote: »
    the inside of the cave looks really good, the outside i believe needs some slight work.

you don't have a matching ground texture blending with your grass meshes, or I think you should completely remove your current grass texture (to produce this look: http://www.capecodphotoalbum.com/swanriverdunes.jpg ). I also think the grass looks too dark and saturated, i'm not sure if you have reference you're following, but dune/sand grass is usually more desaturated/yellow toned.

Yes my intention was to let the grass as in your picture, growing from the sand.
    The grass material is a VTX pain shader wich manages also wind, so I can paint those grass clumps.
  • ArchieVision
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you build this with Preview lighting? If so, rebuild it with Production. The sand textures near the cave do need some love. They look really bare. If you built it with production lighting, I would say really look into you shadows. The Tree Shadows are really blotchy to me. Light Mass in production does a lot better job than what you have there. Just do a little tweaking here and there.

Overall the scene is a good start.
  • Howl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so much more impressive now! haha
    looks really great, especially impressed at the lighting

i agree, I was a little thrown off by the glossiness of the rocks inside the cave. Maybe they're wet from high tide?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    I'd love for the cave to be a bit more gloomy, but well it's excellent anyway.

To specify a bit more, it's the collumns that generally look too glossy. Right now they remind me more of strange, giant bones than rocks.
  • Emulsion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking Beautiful.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    The outside needs work, as has been mentioned so I won't go into that.

Inside looks really nice and interesting, but I'd like to echo the comments on the rocks looking too glossy.

If you look at other limestone caverns such as this...

limestonecave7.jpg

... the micro detail and rough texture always give more of a matte finish. Even when wet, such rock would just become darker and possibly sparkle a bit, rather than full-blown glossy specular.

Currently, it looks like parts of the cave are melting or made from a viscous fluid - especially in this image:

highresscreenshot00007.jpg

Apart from that, the cave sections look very nice :)
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    I like the metal rings on the barrels. Did you heavily include it into the diffuse or do you have a special material setup for it?

Also how did you get the water to bend/flow around the rocks?
    12.29.2011-13.12.41.png
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, and thanks for the comentaries.

Well I have been buisy today,
    This is what I did until now:
    I lowered a lot the gloss from the cave walls, also from colums (stalactites and stalagmites). I may add some detail texture for the cave walls to help reduce the gloss.
    Also lowered lights intensity and retouched Lmass propierties to get the same lightning but without burning stones in the pool, also retouched water shader to get better reflections on water.

Now rendering Lmass with production settings! more time consuming but it´s true that enhances the shadows.

And for the exteriors, I worked a lot more the sand around the cave and the texturing to blend the grass clumps with the soil. Also I retouched the grass shader to match colors with the ladscape.

I added more vegetation over the rocks to give the impresion that above the cave is full with plants and grass, and the isle has continuity.

I also changed the texture for the palm fronds, I didn´t like the one that comes with Speedtree, so I changed it by mine that is a lot better and more natual.

About the metal rings on the barrels, I can´t remember now How I did it, But I can promisse that I didn´t do anything too complicated.
    The water shader is my own variant on flow maps with UDK, there are a discusion about this in TechnicalTalk>UDK; the flow map was painted in PS (nothing specially complicated).

I will continue tomorrow, I don´t have time to upload new screenshots, today has been an intense day of retouching and need to sleep.
  • Ignoto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ignoto polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I updated the screenshots today.
    I ran Lmass in production settings to see how is going on the scene with all the changes I did.

those are the updated screenshots that I take today:

highresscreenshot00000y.jpg

highresscreenshot00002.jpg

highresscreenshot00004.jpg

highresscreenshot00005.jpg

highresscreenshot00006.jpg

highresscreenshot00008.jpg

highresscreenshot00009.jpg

highresscreenshot00010.jpg

highresscreenshot00011.jpg

highresscreenshot00012.jpg

highresscreenshot00016.jpg

highresscreenshot00017.jpg

I think the exteriors look more natural now, and interiors also, I´m thinking about adding a detail normal map for the rock walls, to add detail.