Home Technical Talk

ps3 slim uncharted 3 320gig bundle disc drive noise?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey so I got my girlfriend a ps3 for christmas and it is fucking noisy. We haven't owned a ps3 up until now so I have nothing to compare this too, in my opinion this is unacceptably loud.

The issue occurs when the disc is seeking, it's kind of a rewind stop, rewind stop, etc noise. Sounds like I am printing a document. Sitting on the couch playing Uncharted 1 I can hear the disc stream in the new content every time I get to a new area it is fucking annoying.

Is this normal, people complained about the xbox being loud this thing is much worse in my opinion, it's not a consistent noise, but when it seeks it's awful, I can hear it over the game audio when I'm playing. What should I do is this normal is this how crappy ps3 sounds? I uploaded a video below where you can hear the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9uwLSRE1I&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    On a side note, when you install games on PS3, does the disc still spin or does it read everything from the HDD? (Can you even install all your games?)

The 360 got incredibly quiet after they let me do that.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I don't know if this says anything about this recent revision of the PS3, but one thing is certain : my first rev PS3 Slim ( from 2007/2008 ) doesnt sound anything like this. I think it would be worth bringing it to a small store and ask to compare it with another one!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I sit 8 feet away from the tv and don't have it blasting, but loud enough when I play the 360 that I don't hear distracting noise coming from the console. Really not happy with the ps3 noise level, it feels unacceptable. I'm willing to accept it if they all sound shit like this.

Found a million threads and youtube videos about ps3 slims making this terrible noise appears to be a very consistent issue so I think it is by design.

Computron, you can't install games the same as the xbox, the ps3 either auto installs games or doesn't depending on the game. I tried it out with God of War collection and God of War 1 is silent because it doesn't read anything off the disc.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Yeah. Mine does the same sound.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'm feeling a bit better now that I know I didn't get a defective one, but man that crap is loud. The ps3 sounds like I'm printing on my Epson. Uncharted 1 is constantly seeking making it very distracting.
  • nwardez
    I've been thinking of returning my PS3 uncharted bundle because of this! I first thought mine was way too louder than others posted on Youtube, but watching my own video, it actually doesn't sound more serious than yours: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFcyYIxwg4"]Ps3 slim disk drive noise - YouTube[/ame] . It is very annoying, though. So I guess I may not be returning it then.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay well it's decided then, the current gen of ps3 slims seem to have extremely noisy disc drives by today's standards. I much prefer the constant hum noise coming out of my 360 than the random electronic printer noises that come out of the ps3 when it seeks on the disc.