Home Technical Talk

Maya, Append polygon and Bridge sucks

I fcking hate Maya,every 2min i run into problem, that i have no idea how to solve it.

I want to do append polygon or bridge these edges.

In this picture i use Bridge, and this comes.
PD6d1.jpg

And in this, i use append tool,
JTSOd.jpg

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looks like a normal direction problem....try highlighting the faces that contain the edges, select normal>set to face and then try the append again....I often get a twist from maya's bridge tool so I never use it anymore.

hope that helps
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    first i am going to call you out as a "noob" for working with backfaces on (someone whos first sentence of a thread includes the word "hate" deserves that ) and than i am gonna agree with seth this looks like your bottom plane is normal flipped which you probably would have noticed if you didn't work with backfaces on ...

the bridge tool is relatively new and was written probably by some auto desk people id try to stick to the alias wavefront tech/tools and use the append tool. ( both should do the trick here though with geometry that is this simple )
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    looks like a normal direction problem....try highlighting the faces that contain the edges, select normal>set to face and then try the append again....I often get a twist from maya's bridge tool so I never use it anymore.

hope that helps

Nope don't working, i got the same results as previously(with append tool)
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    I have backfaces on when I model, but I have two sided lighting off so any faces with normals facing the wrong way show up black. What are the advantages to having visibility off instead of the way I currently work?

Mane, how are you using append? Have you tried clicking a left edge then then clicking the right edge? That should work perfectly fine..Looks like you clicked the middle one at the top connecting the two sides and then clicked on a side edge further down? If thats the case, then you need to use the tool logically.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    actually instead of mocking you i should probably help you:

first: select your object go to the attribute editor reveal the "render stats" and see if double sides is checked if it is untick it

now rotate your cam under the object and look if you can see through the bottom

if you can ( and in all likely hood you do ) select the bottom face and choose from the modeling/polygon panel ( all the way on top of your window) normals --> reverse.

than try again and post your results here
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Also...it seems you have been managing to progress and deal with your previous problems in the other two threads you have started recently about this tutorial you are learning from. Since the community here has obviously helped you help the community back for users that use search and find your threads by posting in those threads what solution worked for you, and say thanks :P
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn on the command line Jack ass it will tell you WHY the action cant be preformed

And you still didn't subdivide that Ngon...Why...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    when using the append tool it is important to use the winding order visualization arrows that appear when the first appended edge of your polygon is selected/created.

subsequently picking the "NEXT" adjacent arrow will result in a predictably placed polygon.
    ( always pick the edge next to your current selection whose arrow is pointing in the next direction )

picking edges out of order should be the only thing that messes up the appended result.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Also in your example ( creating a polygon that isn't on or result in an open border )

perhaps just using the "fill hole" operation and splitting any edges to complete wour polygon would be easier for you?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    think you need to take a different approach than just blaming the 3d package for every issue you have, alos a little of your own initiative to fix the issues your having would be nice to see too.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What claydough said.

Also don't use bridge for 2D planes it will screw up and sometimes you won't notice. It's tempting to use bridge because it's faster, but only use it for connecting 3D holes, use append to polygon for situations where you are wanting to draw a quad between only two edges.

Also if you're really stuck you could always extrude the edge and weld it, but append polygon should work fine in this situation there must be something wrong with the normals, or the transforms or the history.