Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Car Rendering

Presenttion I made today to test my car paint shader. Model donated by a work mate.

Mustang_01.jpg

Mustang_02.jpg

Mustang_03.jpg

Replies

• 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Car paint, although shiny, doesn't really have an specularity to it. You should turn off the specular highlights and modify the reflections fresnel. The reflection seems to completely turn off on the parts of the model that is closest the camera, in real life, a car is pretty much reflective no matter what angle you are looking from. Also I see you added metallic flakes, they look very good, but remember that they will distort the reflection ever so slightly.

Ford_Mustang_GT_2.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah car paint is usually more glossy... Highlights are spread out over the surface (under most conditions at least)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    metal flake paint is a two layer material. The bottom layer is a glossy reflection with a slightly darkened diffuse color, the top layer is a clean fresnel reflection.

You can do this in real time a few ways. The easiest is a broad low intensity specular highlight to simulate the flake layer and then an HDR cubemap ontop. The better option is to use two cubemaps, one blurry version and one sharp version blending on top of each other. The blurry version will look best as a lower resolution copy that has been manually blurred rather than using a lower mip stage.

Also, you should make sure to get your diffuse lighting from an ambient cube matchign your reflection. That will help keep it from looking too bright.