Home Technical Talk

straightening lines in photoshop

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
i have a normal line which i need to straighten out.. im having trouble finding the correct tools for it though, since im not that experienced with cs5.

heres a picture of the line i need to straighten out.
catch.PNG

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Smudge works somewhat, or the liquify tool.

Although I would suggest correcting the origin of the Normal Map first since it would be the most correct way to do it.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    use rotate canvas, and then use one of those ^ tools (or clone stamp or whatnot) and shift to get straight lines.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    painting or doing it manualy and getting a perfect result from that squiggly mess there would be close to impossible. as far as getting a perfect line I would say trying a differennt method like rendering a correct normal out and then copy pasta over the messed up one, or what AA said; do it correcty.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just remembered something.

Here's a question, is it necessary to straighten the line? If it's an organic model, then I don't see the benefit of it, since you would get more benefit from unwrapping said specific regions and straightening out the UV's instead.

Also, straight lines in horizontal or vertical directions are better since your won't get any jaggies from the diagonal AA going on, try to avoid diagonal lines, especially in normal maps, unless the model is organic, in which case, alot can be forgiven.