Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Forest

Well, this is a work I'm doing for the "Liceu of Barcelona", the most important Opera theatre in the city. They want promote the Opera among the young people, because they hace a problem: The target public they used to have is dying, and the young generations don't know a lot about Opera.

This will be a playable environment. It will have a forest (with a cave, a river and a lake) and also a Castle. It is based in the Opera Peleas and Melisande, by Debussy. The game is quite simple. You are Peleas inside his mind, and searching from some cues, you must find the key to the door in the cave. No killings, no zombies, and no Fus Ro Dah hahahahahahah. Just you and the environment. It will be very complentative, as the forest itself is a representation of the feelings of peleas to Melisande. It is an Opera from the symbolism, so this give me freedom to create interesting locations, like the fountain (coming soon) and the dock. Sound is also going to be important, and also the particles system. Once the player is about to discover the truth, for example, some flying petals will show him the path through the forest, and so.

It will be released february for free, and I'm also planning to release all the textures and assets. :o

In know now it looks like very generic. This will be solved soon. We're doing some unique models like a fountain, a dock, and stuff like that. :)

Hope you like it.

95085110.jpg

13077438.jpg

18868689.jpg

50590369.jpg

34803986.jpg

11169462.jpg

74769827.jpg

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The lighting needs quite a bit of work. I would make a stronger contrast between the shadows and the light. Post processing needs some work as well. Are you working from references at all? You should have some references for lighting as well. (Be careful some pictures taken from a camera are saturated too much or less, depending on the exposure, etc.)
  • krateos_29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer Tobbo! In those images there is no postprocessing. I've done it and now all seems much more realistic. It is hard to make a postprocessing of a zone in penumbra, because you can burn the image very quickly and loose the blacks like an idiot.

I've finally decided to do the correct exposition for the forest and burn the sky, like a real camera would do. The big trunk texture is now darker witch helps to compensate the lack of blacks (fog can me very messy in this task).

Morning fog is also a "great" way to burn the image and loose contrast...

13377902.jpg

53990828.jpg

32572989.jpg

33915561.jpg

44931470.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Good work so far, this kind of stuff is really hard to pull off as there is so much going on - here's what I have to say in terms of constructive crit:

The lighting needs some work, its all very uniform and bland at the moment- this isn't the art, the art is lovely, it's just the light.

I think the water needs some attention, it's probably the weakest part.

I'd get some contrasting colours in there, the green is overwhelming at the moment.

Keep it up!
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    I have to agree with Chimp, especially on the lighting. I don't know if you just haven't done a light bake yet, but nothing has a shadow! Really bugged me for a bit until I could pin it down. And if this is supposed to be an early morning scene you really need those long shadows to help convey that.

Other than that great work so far! Keep it up!
  • Peeeetah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peeeetah polycounter lvl 7
    kind of a simple question but are your shadows turned on? i think thats whats missing.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    I think you should turn on shadows, lighting is probably the biggest deal breaker a scene has.
  • krateos_29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answers! They really helped my a lot to find what was wrong!

So yes, it was obvious: the lighting was implemented wrong. And that's because I didn't know what cascade shadows were. The level is really big and because of that, the lightmap resolution was really indecent. Then, to avoid toons of black vegetation, I used the emissive slot of the materials to correct those blacks. And then with the color correction I added black to the scene again.

But, after looking into the UDN, I found cascade shadows. End of the problems. I also implemented a better vertex normals in the vegetation so light spreads softly.

The water shader was tweaked, cards with mountains were added to the background and the first assets for the Castle zone are done. Textures for the castle are placeholders.

Again, really usefulls answers. Sometimes the obvious things are the ones we're not able to see!

57224660.jpg

68138191.jpg

21899552.jpg

37315311.jpg

66697487.jpg

16533885.jpg

21573234.jpg

72803819.jpg

90535879.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Looking much better! I'd say enabling something like SSAO or some good lightmaps might complete it. That last pic is approaching excellent.

The water still looks rather bland, perhaps its just lacking the effects one would expect. Refraction and some sort of reflection might make it look a lot better.
  • krateos_29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better! I'd say enabling something like SSAO or some good lightmaps might complete it. That last pic is approaching excellent.

I don't like at all the SSAO for this kind of environments, grass planes mess it up.

Water was the most difficult part of this projects. I agree it looks bland but it was my first water material, so really happy with the result.

and project done!

The costumer is really happy with the result. I'm thinking in making a zip with some of the natural textures and some models free to download and use.

Here are the final screenshots of the best zones and the download link. If you want to play it, you will find the instructions inside de .rar

Download

o01t.jpg

o02m.jpg

o03f.jpg

o04d.jpg

o05j.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting definitely makes this scene go from good to great.

I know it might sound odd, but it really does seem like a sunny, fresh morning - something that isn't the easiest thing to achieve well. Congrats :)
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe you could add a little color to your lighting/distance fog, and rework the transition from the stream to the grass.
    Other than that, looks and feels great!
  • krateos_29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot, thanks for the answer! It's good to see you've catched the morning feel!:)

nordahl154, unfortunally, the project is finished and delivered to the costumer, so I won't do anything more to it. There are still some minor fixes to do but as I said, we ran out of time and other projects had to be done.

I couldn't show this video until a public conference we had to made, but for those of you who want's to see a fly through of the environment without spoilers, here's the video :)