Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Simple Dagger & Table Asset

I'm going to be working on hand painted textures as a portfolio item this winter with these simple assets created in Maya. They are purely inspired from Skyrim. I don't plan on having any texture maps other than diffuse for each item. I've yet to do hand painted textures and wanted to get some feedback on the assets themselves before painting. Any feedback is appreciated.

Assets.png

Assets2.png

Replies

• BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, the table looks great, I can't help but feel like the extra polys you used on the cloth could be saved and the same effect achieved in the texture. Also, some wicks in those candles would look great :P

Looking forward to progress!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    It would look much better if you made this cloth by hand. Just tedious moving verts. This decimated cloth looks bad. You can make it more interesting by exaggerating those folds. You will save a lot of geo doing it by hand. On table legs and top table plane you have those huge ngons. You should cut those into quads (or tris).
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    I like the style of t sofar, nice shapes :) I agree about the cloth though. Ans that piece of paper really should just be one quad. If you want you could make a very simple version of the cloth, maybe 4 or 6 tris and bake the AO from this one to use as a base for your texturing. This would give you some guidance on where to paint the folds etc. Saying that though, I think you should just make it mega low poly and paint it all in! Stick "hand painted cloth texture" in to google search and it should give you some good inspiration :)

You could take the candles down a bit too, they are looking pretty high poly, maybe you could get rid of that loop in the middle of them. And it might be nice to make the table edges ever so slightly wonky :) Give it a little bit more character.

Good start :)
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys!

Reduced the polycount on the candles, cloth, and note.
    Added wicks (7 tris a piece) to the candles.
    Added some warping to the boards for character.

I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to break up the textures and their sizes. I don't plan on exceeding 512 x 512 for any of them. I'm open to further suggestions.

Assets3.png
    Assets4.png
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH god, what have we done!
    Looking great man, but I think you took it a little far with the cloth!
    Get some nice bevels on the edges and add a little shape, but not as much as your first attempt.
    I have to dissagree with Jsargentthough, I think the candles look better like they were before, first person lets you get really close to these assets and I think the candles would show.

TEXTURE STUFFS: I think you could mirror those legs without too much trouble and make sure to keep the texture space for the underside of the table to a minimum.

Loving the warped wood, keep it going!
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Increased the poly count on the cloth and candles.
    First pass for the hand painted dagger texture.

HPAssets4.png
    HPAssets3.png
    HPAssets2.png
    HPAssets1.png
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Yep. That's a dagger and a table.
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Here's an update on the hand painted cloth and note.

Cloth.png
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there might be too many folds on the flat surface under the note and such

Ex;
    102974117412G.JPG
    Pure-natural-linen-table-runner-with-aournd-ladder-hemstitch.jpg
    93502_b445000633653dc20693375e76512293.jpg

Not sure if this is helpful either, but a quick cloth simulation in max on a jagged edge.
    yY4r8.jpg

I do like the parts hanging off though
  • Nano XS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehrunes Razor? Seems like it. I think it's quite nice but I do have to agree with the others about the cloth, too many folds :)
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decreased the intensity and amount of the folds, just finished the coins.

Coins.png
  • SniperStealth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while, I finished this small project months ago. Been too busy with other things for an update. Here's the finished model and textures for those that are interested. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

HandPaintedScreenScaps2.jpg
    HandPaintedScreenScaps.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the wood texture man, did you use a wood texture as an overlay to get all of those fine details or is it all hand painted?
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, progress is excellent!

The light edges of the wood bother me though, looks like the table has been varnished really sloppily. I think you could push the highlighst on the edges of some of those cracks in the wood.
    Also, the I'm not sure what's going on with that shadow on the dagger, did you erase some of it in photoshop? I think it should be fading on the opposite direction.

Looks great otherwise!