Home Technical Talk

Tutorial -> RPG House?(4Maya)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hi Guys!

Im new and im searching for a Tutorial thats made for Maya and how to create a nice looking old looking house like as example these great looking RPG houses from Skyrim in Whiterun or in Riverwood.

Ive checked many Video Tutorials but never find something about this for maya.

Can anybody help me?

Replies

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Do you have any modeling skills or are you just looking for the best way to create rpg houses?
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Im just beginning.
    I do some tutorials for Beginners and thats it.

Also ive started to fight me cross some Digital Tutors Tutorials, like Weapon Creating and such stuff.

But Tutorials with some nice House Build Techniques i didnt found yet.
    The only technique i know yet is extrude :(
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well this is a vague subject. 3d skills require months of practice and headaches. For basic modeling technics, Digital tutors or 3dmotive or eat 3d or youtube, is pretty good.

Here's a link that might be useful specifically for houses.

http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade?highlight=%28\bCategoryEnvironmentModeling\b%29

You see how the houses are based on modular structures like lego so they can be declinate easily while beeing very optimized.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thank You!

This Houses looking amazing!
    For something like this im searching complete step by step tutorials for maya.
    But theres nothing to find.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You won't find step by step tutorials for everything even less for a specific software.
    There's nothing technically complex in those buildings. Basic modeling, extrude, cut, weld... If you learn max basics with some tutorials, you don't need anything more than practice to do this stuff.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    This is all i can :(
    My question is: How can i build a smooth Roof, like in the Pictures of Mount&Blade?
    For example The Straw Roof.
    How do i build in the Stairs for the Straw Roof?
    ww9k5cx21ynf.png
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    thanks Noors, looking for that for weeks :D
    @Gozu, there many methods you can use,
    try to box the shape out and remodel each peace..
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I dont understand because im from germany.
    U mean to smooth all pieces on this house to round the shape out?

Edit:
    I have uploaded my house to fileserve, so you can show me what u mean if u want ;)

It would be very nice from you and for my skills!

http://www.fileserve.com/file/85vyyHH/House.max
  • MadnessImport
    I thought you were using Maya?!?
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    It would be nice to learn Maya, but no, i dont have Maya.
    Im using the Testversion atm
  • Visceral
    This is basicly, "how do i model style thread" and i dont approve of it.
    Either you can model or you dont, there aren't cirtain things you cant model.

Basicly what im saying is you wont find a step to step tutorial on how you model every single thing there is to model. What you have to do is to start out with a reference and then creat shapes you think match the shapes you see.

The link posted earler is a great start, try to replicate that using boxes.
  • MadnessImport
    But wait....your first Post says you need a tutorial made for Maya?
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thx Visceral!
    But the House is created with Boxes, how can i understand your post?

Yes MadnessImport, the Tutorials can be for Maya.
    When theres no for Maya either for 3DSMax, too.

But the People said it, theres no step by step tutorial for how to create a nice looking RPG House that has some touch of Skyrim or comparable rpgs.

I think i have to improve my skills, and there will be soon a nice looking house.
    It would be nice when someone could tell me how to model those smooth straw roofs as a mini tutorial in a PM or something like that ;)

Greetz
    Gazu
  • Vysuki
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Whilst they are right to some extent. I do argue that step by step videos or tutorials are still incredibly good resources. A novice or even someone with pretty decent skills can still pick up tips or ways of creating shapes or objects in a different way that could improve their speed or change the way they do things.

Especially since the video will be showing similar shapes to what they are trying to achieve and if the video is good and the tutor explains WHY he does the things he does then it could be great (and much more resourceful than a standard 'how to use max/maya/whatever' video).