Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snowy Mountain Scene

Hi everyone! I'm starting a wintery environment in UDK! I'll be hand painting everything, and probably not going to use any normals for this. I made a quick sketch of what I want to do, but it's not finished and I have some changes I want to make to it. I want the mountain range to be on the edge of a giant rift, almost like it's the edge of the land and you can't see the bottom or anything in the distance. Anyway, I want to focus on the top, where there's like a gateway type thing (or.. maybe a shrine.)

mountain_sketch.jpg

I don't have too much done yet, but I blocked out the bigger mountain spikes and made the mountain. I've mainly worked on the snow material. The rocky one is a placeholder for now! I'll be making some of the surrounding mountains and cliffs so I can get rid of the weird fog :|

mountain_list.jpg

mountain_sketch2.jpg

snow_test.jpg

Any comments or critiques would be appreciated, or maybe direction on what I should be trying to do first, like skydome and lighting, or maybe some of the meshes that will help define the mountain's silhouette? I feel like there's so much to do, I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks!
kelli

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice concepts , are tha last pictures form UDK tough?

Its a two texture blend or you added a froze effect?
  • kelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, those are from udk. It's a blend of the snow textures and the placeholder rock texture.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good , I am about to make too a snow environment but on Cryengine and I have to plan severall snow types , are you planning too different snow textures for terrain? like ice , fresch snow , walked upon snow etc etc?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think that snow material looks great!! :D Only thing is I think the mountain looks really, really leany right now, like unbalanced. It will be good it you tilt is just a bit straighter or when you add some more rock meshes to support it or something.

If you don't know where to start maybe just put a basic skydome and lights so at least you have placeholders, but then I would just get started on the meshes! By the looks of your list, you have a lot to make, so just pick one and go from there :)

I'm excited, snow environments look fun!!