Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

tiles texture for morrocan atrium house

walkonsky
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
This is a texture that I have been working on for a scene of a morrocan riad house. I am going to show the whole scene when it is presentable ;)

181211232335_111218_03.jpg
181211233614_floortiles_texturesheet.jpg

The texture is based on an image from cgtextures which I made tilable and that I generated specular and normal maps for. The normal map is made using the GIMP normalmap plugin. All maps are 2048x2048.

The texture is supposed to be used on the floor of fairly large atrium. Do you guys think I should reduce the number of tiles in the texture to increase resolution per tile?

I am looking for critique on all aspects: The texture itself, the render, information needed for proper critique, etc... (This is my first post with own work here.)
Be honest and harsh if needed. Thats what I came here for. ;)

walk_on_sky

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think the resolution per tile looks fine, you can always add a subtle detail normal or texture to the material to get more definition. I think the texture could use a little more shading where the tile meets the grouting (maybe darken that a bit?), and the tiles could use a bit more colour/grunge variation. Perhaps a subtle grunge texture over the specular to break up the reflection. All personal opinion though. Really looking forward to seeing the scene, this material looks cool :D
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    Is it possible that the green channel of your normal map is flipped? It looks like the tiles extrude inwards.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I thought the same, just checked and it renders wrong. That may be why it looks odd.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies so far!

I tried to flip the green channel in the normal map and rendered two images for comparison:
    On top the normals as in my original post, underneath with the green channel inverted.
    I didn't notice that the normals looked odd in my original render, but here it is very obvious...
    In my opinion, the result is better on the bottom, but still, it looks a little odd in some places... What do you think?
    (Maybe that is simply my bad render/lighting skills ;) )

floortiles_nonflipped.png

floortiles_flipped.png
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top looks better in my opinion. The tiles are popping out instead of inward. :)
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    What did you use to bake out these maps? The top looks better, but there seem to be problems in both maps. Did you bake this from geometry or did you use crazybump or photoshop (or something like that)? It looks like you are missing color information in one direction. You have the red and blue normal information going in one direction on your tiles, but it all looks flat blue going on the other diagonal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The top looks better in my opinion. The tiles are popping out instead of inward. :)

The tiles are popping out on the bottom one...
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The tiles are popping out on the bottom one...

You are both right depending on where or which direction you are looking, there are issues with the map.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The normal map was generated using the normalmap plugin in GIMP. I took the color map and painted over the white tiles with parts of the green ones. To blend them in, I used the blur tool. Before I converted the image to a normal map, I desaturated the image to greyscale and adjusted the values.
    I know you all have your own work to do, but I would really appreciate if someone could try to render the whole normal map on a simple plane to make sure that the problem is not the rendering. I have used Blender to render the images in this thread.
    You can find the normal map in full rez here:
    http://s10.postimage.org/d8hassa9z/floortiles_normals.png
    This is the version I used in the renders in the first post of this thread.
    Thanks you all very much for your help.
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    normalProblem.jpg

Your image did not translate to a normal map properly. I prefer to use actual geometry to bake out my maps but crazy bump, Ndo (or Ndo2), or the nvidia filter for photoshop do a decent job. I don't know any easy way to fix this using the method that you are using. I am at work, so I can't render your map out, but look at another normal map for a tileable wall/floor (you can find tons in this forum). You should have color information on all four sides of your tiles (white not being one of those colors).
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a little test:
    To check how the normal map for those diagonal tiles has to look like in general.
    I made the following object...
    dieOf.jpg

and generated a normal map using xnormal. It looks like this:
    pcevS.png

Notice, that two of the diagonal sides dont have any green or red hue, but only a blue tint of different brightness.

If i render a plane with this normal map in a scene with two spotlights, similar to the one used above, i get this:

O9JM7.jpg

Looks fine to me. I suspect more and more that the render is the problem here. Maybe the camera position is not the best, the angle was very low in the shots I posted.
    Still, I would really like to see my normal map rendered in another program and by someone who knows what he/she is doing ;)
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your images aren't showing up, so I can't see what you are referring to. I found this image as the most simple example I could find:

http://www.odedge.com/forums/uof/blender_practice_005.jpg

Notice that there is color information on all four sides. While, yes, blue makes up the bulk of the normal map, there are strong variations of blue and red that indicate the surface direction (or normal) that the rendering engine is supposed to see.

If you fix your images, I can see what you are talking about.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reuploaded the images. Strange enough that they were displayed on my computer, but not on my phone, as I realized this morning. I hope it works now.

Concerning the colours in my normal map:
    The difference between my map and the example that you found is, that my tiles are arranged diagonally in the map. As far as I have understood how normal maps are generated, it is completely normal that one pair of diagonal sides in the map is only blue. Have a look at this image by Ben Cloward from the polycount wiki (http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps11.shtml):

NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=BenCloward_NormalMapLighting.gif
    On diagonal receives blue and red light in addition to the blue light from above, which results in a light blue (almost white) color. Bot not in a green or blue tone.
    The opposing diagonal receives neither green nor red light, which results in a dark blue tone.
    This is what you can see in my normal map as well.

I finally got around to render images from a steeper angle.
    On top the normal map as it was in the beginning,
    on the bottom with inverted green channel:

6XYoM.png

kFc4R.png

It is not very obvious, but I think the original version is right. The spotlights in this scene are on top (in the background). That means highlighted back sides of the tiles is right. But I have to figure out why this maps works so badly...
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top one definitely looks better. The smaller tiles look fine, I think the problem area is the larger green tiles. Maybe the filter isn't picking up on some of the edges enough? In the original shot, everything looks fine, but the edges of some of the large green tiles make it look like the grout is actually sticking up.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    normal_issues.jpg

If I am right about the lights positioning your first image is correct. The edges facing the lights are receiving highlights(yellow) whereas those facing away are shaded(blue). With that said, modelling this will create stronger normals that are physically accurate.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. Thank you both very much. I will leave the texture as it is for the moment. I would really like to sculpt a high-poly mesh for this material to generate a better normal map.
    Unfortunately, however, my laptop is much too slow to handle even the smallest mesh for sculpting. As I am not a professional or student in 3d art, a better computer hasn't been on top of my priority list. But I am planning to buy a new one sometime in the beginning of the new year.
    Maybe I am going back to this material then and sculpt a proper normal map. until then, I will continue on the scene with this one.
    Stay tuned (although progress might be pretty slow... there is real life, too, you know ;) )