Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Falx-O-Doom

so last Friday night I started working on my "Boring Weapons Pack" that I hope to eventually release as a small mod for Skyrim (yup, bandwagon). I picked out a nice drawing of a Falx I had sitting around, and went to work.

I finished the basic model, and realized that it was just too boring...

so I gave it a pattern-welded blade...

shiny.jpg

falxOdoom.jpg

and a bone handle...
falxOdoom2.jpg

which need some color...

falxHope.jpg

and now my simple little Falx has become a major headache. Making a new low poly handle isnt a problem, but putting the sculptris model into xnormal is bound to be a disaster. should be a fun weekend for me.

Replies

• AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Have you ever tried Meshlab to decimate it?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you would be surprised what xnormal can handle, it will just take a long time to load the model but it still will bake eventually.

also like asanyc mentioned, decimation master or meshlab, to knock the tri count down a bit
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually I do use meshLab, I love it. between that and sculptris's reduced brush I managed to bring the count down to 250k or so.

I also used voidworld to re-topo. it crashed constantly so Id just save every 5 polys and reload. frustrating but it worked.

got the handel into xnormal, and it went well, but saw some things on the model that I didnt like. so no picks yet.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like all the good little briar-hearts have something to look for under the crucified spriggan this year...
    falXmass2.jpg

about 1750 tris so far, and im also hiding a major glitch on the back of the blade, one of the triangles is diffuse only, speculars not showing up.

falXmass.jpg

still unsure of all reqs for importing into skyrim, and what kind of shader magic will be available. marmosets got that nifty anisotropic look for the blade.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    lookin good. the only thing id say is that i dont like how you have that tri circle emblem uved correctly on the upper bone in the middle of the handle, but on the lower bone those 3 circle emblems going around seem to be squashed. doesnt look quite right.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man.

the squishiness might be due to the camera angle and lens setting causing an issue, or it could be that the smaller versions of the tri-spiral just dont look good near their big brother.

here's a more dead-on shot
    falxPerspective.jpg