Home Technical Talk

UDK lighting problem

I am sure I have seen something very similiar to this before but I can not for the life of me remember the fix for it.

Wall_colour_chart.png

My walls look like a dulex colour chart come to life. Is there anything I should have done or doing at all?

My process for bringing these into UDK was:
1. Create mesh in max
2. Uvw map
3. Unwrap
4. fill up texture sheet as much as possible
5. import into udk
6. make basic material and put it in the mesh material thing.

I am using lightmass but I have not created the lighting UV map for this /all other static meshes I have made so far :( is that what will fix this or is there a simpler way?

I have created this post in the UDK forum but no replies there yet so I thought I would annoy you guys :poly122:

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    For stuff like that you're best of using brushes or making a longer wall in Max. Static meshes used together are better off joined together at natural seams, for example, a seam in a metal panel. There is no real advantage to splitting up that wall into such a small mesh, unless each mesh is really detailed.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 14
    this video will pretty much fix your problems, chances are your UV's on your lightmaps are inbetween a pixel causing this nasty seam you see, the video goes over how to fix it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx10JMl9f4"]Fixing Lighting Seams in UDK - YouTube[/ame]
  • l.croxton
    @PogoP: I thought it might be less taxing on the system to split them up than to make one long wall. I have seen people saying that making one big static mesh isn't very practical etc however I am guessing a wall like that wouldn't be to bad :P. Just curiously though I have heard lightmass doesn't like over lapping UVs so I am guessing to make the texture of the wall would have to be (in this case atleast) 4 mini versions over the uvwmap or am I completely wrong and I could overlap the uvs and it wouldnt be a problem for lightmass?

I know these are rather basic questions but I am pretty new to this and so I don't have the skill of being able to things really quickly and I am on a deadline lol.

@Kbrom12: Ah that video really helps. For sure I am scratching my head a little bit since I have not done lightmaps before :P