Home Technical Talk

Max script question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
I have an idea for a script, it possibly and even likely it is already out there but I wouldn't know how to go about finding it so i will ask on here for some advice.

My idea is for a script that will quick planar map all the polygons of a mesh one by one. I know the flatten mapping too does something similar to this but not quite the same. My question is -

Would a script like this be hard to make? I have been wanting to learn some max script for a while now but seeing as I have no purpose I had no motivation to do so. Before I have a go at it can any of the experienced users tell me if this would be tricky or relatively easy to make? I am all for learning but time is a big issue for me at the moment so I don't want to try and tackle a problem that will be way above my abilities.

Cheers

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    im confused, you want every polygon to be a separate UV island, so you can stitch them?, or your wanting it to act like the planner mapping in Silo, or the the auto unwrap in maya, where all flat surfaces come out as a island, and you can set a angle tolerance.
  • Norman3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    ehmm... no need to do a script for that. Just apply a UVW Mapping modifier and select "Face" instead of "Planar".

Edit: Additionally, you can collapse that. Open the UVW Unwrap. Select all faces and "Relax".
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah as Norman said, you don't really need to write this. But to answer your question, if you did write this, then... no, it wouldn't be especially hard.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    cheers. I thought there was probably already a tool that did this, im just very suspicious of automated processes lol and writing my own was a way to know the ins and outs of it enough that I would trust it a little more than the rest lol. Thanks.