Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] LOTR ThroneRoom

Hey everyone,

This is my 1st attempt getting a scene into UDK. Modular assets all around and was playing a lot with the image base reflections which is what you see on the floor. Any critique would be welcome and appreciated :)

ThanksTuvRA.jpg1vJY4.jpgYy70F.jpg

Replies

• myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Sithis, welcome to the forums.
    Good job on getting the scene this far but I believe theres a lot of tweaks you can do that will drasticly increase the quality :)

- Your pillars are quite short and squat, in the reference this pillars have a lot more height to them and as such really give the composition a lot more perspective, when doing this you may also want to increase the height of the side rooms and all objects in them (the statues should be larger, and the windows should be higher up.) You may also want to make the throne slightly large to emphasize it.

- The pillars are almost completely black, marble has a lot more colour variation than this (which can be seen in the reference well. The specular should also have more marks/ dust in it than it does currently.

- The floor is far too reflective and shiny, it need to be more rough like the reference, at the moment the floor looks like marble too and instead should look more like stone.

- The textures for the walls are again too shiny and look like marble. These are stone walls and should look like such.

- At the moment the entire scene looks evenly lit, once you've toned down the strength of the reflection on the floor you should see this better. Try and light the scene with just a directional light shining through the windows on on the side to begin with (you will probably need to increase the size of your windows and add a backface to create a shadow for this) and then add a few lights to fake the bounce from the more reflective surfaces.

- Try adding a point light around the candles, at the moment they are a nice contrasting colour, but you ain't pushing it enough broo!

Keep at it ! :)
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles wrote: »
    Hey Sithis, welcome to the forums.
    Good job on getting the scene this far but I believe theres a lot of tweaks you can do that will drasticly increase the quality :)

- Your pillars are quite short and squat, in the reference this pillars have a lot more height to them and as such really give the composition a lot more perspective, when doing this you may also want to increase the height of the side rooms and all objects in them (the statues should be larger, and the windows should be higher up.) You may also want to make the throne slightly large to emphasize it.

- The pillars are almost completely black, marble has a lot more colour variation than this (which can be seen in the reference well. The specular should also have more marks/ dust in it than it does currently.

- The floor is far too reflective and shiny, it need to be more rough like the reference, at the moment the floor looks like marble too and instead should look more like stone.

- The textures for the walls are again too shiny and look like marble. These are stone walls and should look like such.

- At the moment the entire scene looks evenly lit, once you've toned down the strength of the reflection on the floor you should see this better. Try and light the scene with just a directional light shining through the windows on on the side to begin with (you will probably need to increase the size of your windows and add a backface to create a shadow for this) and then add a few lights to fake the bounce from the more reflective surfaces.

- Try adding a point light around the candles, at the moment they are a nice contrasting colour, but you ain't pushing it enough broo!

Keep at it ! :)

@myles
    Hey thanks for the reply

-Agreed, the pillars needs a total change. Proportions are off

-Alright thanks, im still getting used to texturing. Mainly having trouble giving "life" to textures

-I kinda like the floor being shiny :\ Sadly for all the reflections i need intense light that really does kill the scene. Currently i have the outer walls emit emmisive lighting
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Cool, that's something I hoped some one would do someday in realtime. My main concern at the moment is the amount of blur all over your pictures. Hard to judge anything with that.
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Cool, that's something I hoped some one would do someday in realtime. My main concern at the moment is the amount of blur all over your pictures. Hard to judge anything with that.
    I thought using some depth of field would give it a more cinematic feel, ill go over the settings more and try to adjust it to a better level after i fix up all the proportions
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Your not really going to get depth of field on long shots (at least nothing major as it totally looses the sense of scale, I'd give it a miss for this scene, it adds nothing :)