Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P Red Alert 2 Soviet Siege Chopper

I'm a long time fan of the C&C series of games, so I decided to do a C&C-based project for one of my university modules.

The Siege Chopper is pretty much a helicopter gunship that can deploy a howitzer when it's landed.

Here's the references that I'm basing this project off.

0r25y.jpg
h9aAO.jpg

I've completed the model and unwrap so far and am about to take it into texturing. I want to know what you guys think of it though, as there's always room for improvement.

Here's a couple of renders of the model. It's currently sitting at 11,708 tris.

prrRO.jpg

1Jt19.jpg

Here's my unwrap as well.

Qeo5j.png

Constructive crits and comments appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    The mesh can be heavily optimized, try to merge together edge loops that run along the tail,the rotor cap, the engines. At that polycount, im guessing your not going for the lowpoly version of the helicopter then I would advice to build a highpoly of the base you got there. A 11k mesh without normlas is not gonna do any justice to the model man.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with c0ldhands if this is your lowpoly you have quite a few wasted edges, it would be smart to make a highpoly and bake a normal map this model need details ;)
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 to the high poly, looking at the concept art you could go heavy on the details (the gun is looking very simplistic at the moment) and have a really solid high poly piece to go along with your lowpoly, and it looks like it would not be to difficult to make a high poly from what you have
  • Digital_3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital_3d polycounter lvl 9
    I am working on almost the same game but on old engine which use SHP and rmt files for artwork.
    We use only rendered images so I didn't care of the Mesh resolution.
    But as you show in your post it seems all in 3d.
    So I think there is a chance to make the resolution of mesh a bit down. If engine didn't count the mesh like in our case so there is no need to change although you can make the topology more Optimize.
    Model is looks nice. Let's see what you can do in Texturing.
    Texturing means a lot. :)

Cheers
    Digital