Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Book Scene

This is a scene I created based on a concept from Blizzard. I used 3DS Max, Zbrush, XNormals, and the scene was assembled in UDK. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

6243823_orig.jpg2427791_orig.jpg9730947_orig.jpg3088188_orig.jpg

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    My first post^^ Here comes my compliment sandwich!
    I'm liking the skull with the candles on top looks good, but it looks to good for the rest of the scene. The wall, books and table look 'sterile' and don't look gritty or used enough in my opinion(I'm sure this is a scene from Diablo yes?)so more focus on the textures on these to match the quality of the skull. The color is nice but where are the shadows?
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm missing alot here... you got a focal point, that's good, but there are no shadows wich makes everything look really flat.
    I have the feeling you're using no bump or normal for anything at al, the candle drops on the skull would look so much better with a bit depth in there same thing with the book pages etc.
    for the wall, I think you should make the bricks alot bigger since what I have seen in these kind of scenes there are big bricks :P hope that makes sence.
    The Wood table is a bit flat and boring, this you could make with more planks so it looks more interesting and with a good normal it should look nice.
    Also I dont know what you are doing with the glass and all but it looks kinds wierd, hourglass seems fine though.

Im not trying to be an ass here :P I like where it is going, keep at it.
    maybe you could post some texture flats so we can see what you're doing?

Mike
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The props look pretty good from far (first pic), but don't hold up well close up. Add some verts to them, break up the straight lines!

My main concern, though, is the brick background. It really has to go. It instantly detracts from the entire image. It's lazily tiled and uninteresting, and isn't at all affected by the lights affecting the props, which makes it look like a cheap greenscreen backdrop.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Along with all the other crits, I feel lightning is also really letting this down. Look at the black stone trailer from Diablo for lighting.
  • Rubikubi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may also be worthwhile to vary the book textures a little more. Maybe some patterned rims on the book covers, print of some sort on the book bindings. Maybe stick in some bookmarks here and there?

Right mow it looks like you have duplicated one or two books over and over again and just changing their scale.

May also want to put more into modeling the books, like modeling the fasteners and the straps and buckles.